Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Machine I saw today, The Phoenix >

Machine I saw today, The Phoenix

Machine I saw today, The Phoenix

Old 03-01-2014, 09:47 AM

Rodney, I'd vote for you!!
Old 03-01-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
That looks like a well built machine from here. I like the treadle cabinet it's in too. Other than being in the same place at the same time I don't think the machine has any strong Nazi connections.
Just expressing my feelings on this object which are on the strong side. I'm fine with other people admiring or owning this machine, just not myself. Don't want Nazi related stuff in my house.

Jon
Old 03-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
What was the price on it? How did they determine that it was from 1936?
The year was in the manual. It was priced at 49.99.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
The year was in the manual. It was priced at 49.99.
I had a really similar looking Phoenix model 250 - from 1952 I think. Had to scour the 'Bay in Germany for a manual. Took me 9 months to get it! I wish I had a bigger house, I wouldn't have sold it. Seemed like a great machine. I consider the quality would definitely have been retained comparing it to my other machines, but have never seen an earlier Phoenix to compare directly. Oh, and I've still got a Phoenix in my collection, a 283F, which I kept. Bit smaller than the 250 in the cabinet.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:10 AM

Rodney is correct about the Nazi connection. But ... do you remember the VW Beetle? Remember how popular it was here in the states? That car's design was commissioned by Adolph Hitler himself. The words Volks Wagon means peoples car if my memory is correct.
And ... how about the Japanese clones? During WWII the Japanese were as bad if not worse than the Germans yet many of use have them.
As far as the Chinese stuff goes I try to avoid it, but like Rodney says it's all but impossible.

Back to the original topic; I'd of bought that machine so fast the sellers head would still be spinning.

Joe
Old 03-06-2014, 07:10 AM

Amelia, you sold your Phoenix? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I have an Anker Phoenix 429 ZigZag and it is amazing! SO heavy, and thus sitches soooooooo quietly. I wish I had more time to sew more on it.

Thanks for posting this photo! :-)
Old 03-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Amelia, you sold your Phoenix? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
Now ask her how much she got (sorry A)
Old 03-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Rodney is correct about the Nazi connection. But ... do you remember the VW Beetle? Remember how popular it was here in the states? That car's design was commissioned by Adolph Hitler himself. The words Volks Wagon means peoples car if my memory is correct.
And ... how about the Japanese clones? During WWII the Japanese were as bad if not worse than the Germans yet many of use have them.
As far as the Chinese stuff goes I try to avoid it, but like Rodney says it's all but impossible.

Back to the original topic; I'd of bought that machine so fast the sellers head would still be spinning.

Joe
Hi Joe,

I've had family killed or run out of town to escape murder in Nazi Germany so this machine hits a little too close to home for me to appreciate it. The sewing machine itself is guilty of no crime.

Jon