Machine ID verification

Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

just having some fun at your expense I guess...
Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I’m not Joe, but in answer to your question, you may be looking at multiple timelines, depending on where the model 27 was made. The USA machines had round rear inspection plates as early as 1900 (maybe 1896, but I don’t know which factory made serial number 13804165). But, I have a 27K2 made in the UK in 1901 that has the kidney rear inspection cover.

CD in Oklahoma
I don't know if it's true for sewing machine manufacturers but it was common practice for foundries at the time to leave castings outside for a year or so to season before they would finish machine them. It was done to relieve any internal stresses in the metal that occurred from the casting process so they wouldn't warp or crack during or after assembly.
It's very possible that Singer had a boneyard of machine bodies seasoning and waiting to be machined, assembled and stamped with a serial number. If they did then it would have been very easy for them to be assembling the previous year's castings even as the current year's design changes were being introduced.

Joe, sorry I misunderstood. I thought you were interested in getting it too. My oldest machine is a 1903 model 27. It has the round inspection plate and was in a treadle where the machine folds into it, not a coffin top. I'm not sure when Singer made the switch in styles.
Rodney
Old 09-22-2014, 07:15 PM

Rodney,

Interested, yes, but able to no. I still need three treadle cabinets without machines for the homeless machines I have.
They are the priority at this time.

Joe