Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: "Machine works and is in good condition" ,... really? Inspection List

Such great advice from everyone. I remember advice from long ago which is still relevant today: Buyer Beware.

Linda

Sew little time and sew many ideas

Quote Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
    Such great advice from everyone. I remember advice from long ago which is still relevant today: Buyer Beware.
    I'd say it is even more relevant today.

Quote Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
    A guy that knows my DH wanted to know if I wanted to purchase a machine his sister had. Same words, worked and in good condition. When it comes to any kind of purchase, DH always asks, "Well does it work NOW and what is it's "CONDITION NOW". The guy wanted $500.00 because it was an antique. Right off the bat NO. It was a mess. Not at this time or any other time. We also don't buy anything sight unseen.
    That's definitely good practice. I don't know why I suspended my judgement for this particular set of machines. I'm usually quite careful. The only thing I can think of is that the machines came in under my "squeamish" threshold. But I did have a niggling feeling that I shouldn't be getting the one machine, and I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by linda faye View Post
    Too true. And as mlmack says, more so today. It's a shame really that we can't just trust one another, but some people make it so hard to.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Blog Entries
    I've been fooled a few times by machines that look really nice like they haven't been used. There is usually something wrong with a really nice looking machine. Go figure.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I've been fooled a few times by machines that look really nice like they haven't been used. There is usually something wrong with a really nice looking machine. Go figure.
    Aww, don't tell me that! I haven't dug into the 201-2 from last week yet. I don't want any more character building machines for a week or two. Between this Pfaff and the Bernina, I've done all the character building I can handle for a month or so.
    Tammi - I've found that many baby steps tend to get you further than a huge leap in followed by a huge leap out - http://www.archaicarcane.com
    Singer 411G, 301A, 2x 221 (featherweight), 222k - the holy grail, 15-90 Centennial, 27, VS2, 28 hc, 128 knee bar, 201-2, 31-15, Pfaff 130-6. Non-Vintage - Pfaff 6122, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81595 serger, Kenmore (Janome) 385.81155, 2013 APQS Lucey

Tammi,

I really like your term: 'character building machines'. I will use that one.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Aww, don't tell me that! I haven't dug into the 201-2 from last week yet. I don't want any more character building machines for a week or two. Between this Pfaff and the Bernina, I've done all the character building I can handle for a month or so.
    Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Quote Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
    Tammi,

I really like your term: 'character building machines'. I will use that one.

Cathy
    Thanks Cathy. That's not what I always called them, but I'm evolving.

Blog Entries
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

I have an invertor, which I plug into my lighter socket in my car. It converts DC current to AC current and I can test if the machine runs if I have to meet at a half way location for a viewing. It has a plug in socket just like in your house, so just plug and test.

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    I have an invertor, which I plug into my lighter socket in my car. It converts DC current to AC current and I can test if the machine runs if I have to meet at a half way location for a viewing. It has a plug in socket just like in your house, so just plug and test.
    Those are great! I use one on the road to charge my laptop. I never thought to use it to test a machine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast