Machines are harder to find

Old 05-06-2014, 10:27 AM

We asked several thrift stores, and they told us they won't take vintage/antique machines. We occasionally find one at an antique store . . . I find most of my on eBay and Craigslist now.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM

Supply and demand...and perceived value. Lets not forget Beanie Babbies, Cabbage Patch etc. I dont see a lot locally in thrift stores that is vintage. What there is sometimes has an ebay quoted value. The positive thing is, maybe some of these oldies of mine may someday be worth t least what I paid. Otherwise, there will be one h*** of an estate sale!!
Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM

The 'finds' here are very few and if you do happen to come across one the prices are high especially on the online classified sites like CL & Kijiji. One 'might' come up perhaps at a garage/yard sale or church sale but not often.

I was very lucky to get my pretty Singer 185J a few weeks ago from a friend who was having a yard sale - she asked me ahead of time if I wanted it - she is the one that had a Pfaff92 that I mentioned in an earlier post. She changed her mind on giving up the Pfaff but I snapped up the 185 as fast as I could - the case was broken but is in mint condition and purrs like a kitten
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM

Yes, I feel very fortunate about 2 years ago that I found my 301 at an estate sale for $70, and that was before I knew that 301's were desireable! It was in great condition after oiling and lubing. I found my featherweight on ebay for $180, and it was also in great condition after oiling and lubing. I haven't seen much lately, and when I did try thrift shops, there were none other than a 201 that was $300. So, I'm happy with my two.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM

In our area, they are making tractors out of old sewing machines. Made me sick. I ask everytime I go in our thrift store and they tell me that a man comes twice a week and buys them and leaves the cabinets. He paints them and makes little tractors out of them. What a waste.
Old 05-06-2014, 01:11 PM

Increasing the value of the ones that are left!!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

There is a silver lining to increased prices for old sewing machines. As the value of the machines increase they become more valued as antiques and sewing machines and less valued for their potential as tractors, end tables and vanities.

I'm West Coast, we're newer here and never had much if anything for a textile industry. We don't see a lot of truly old machines here like Steve collects. There does seem to be plenty of machines available from about 1900 on though. Between the Portland, Seattle and local markets I see prices ranging from bargains to "What are they smoking?" I've only seen 3 or 4 old black machines in the local thrift stores since I became interested but I do see a good assortment of machines from the 60s and 70s in the local thrift stores, usually at realistic or bargain prices.
Rodney
Old 05-06-2014, 01:18 PM

High prices are the only thing that keeps me from being overwhelmed with "bargains". Sure would be something if all us hoarders had high SM prices to look forward to in older age or for our estate.

Jon
Old 05-06-2014, 01:43 PM

Thereby slowing us down from buying too many too fast. I have to go to a 12"step tonite. 3 machines in one day, 2 treadles on CL and a a well worn blue SewHandy on ebay. Whew!
Old 05-06-2014, 01:44 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Considering all this, I think I'll be keeping all my older ( vintage and antique ) machines. Maybe only parting with one if I know it's going to someone will use and appreciate it.

Joe
I was just thinking of getting rid of a few machines but I believe I will be following Joe's suggestion now. Not that I have that many but still ........