Machines are harder to find

Old 05-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Machines are harder to find

I've noticed in my area that vintage machines are very hard to find at thrift stores and if they are there, they are usually quite expensive, especially if its a singer and ironically sometimes cheeper for Pfaffs and other high end foreign machines.

I remember when I started thrifting in the 90's there were tones of vintage machines, even into the earlier 2000's, but ever since the mid 2000's, machines seem to be snatched up if they do become available and for serious cash, not garage sale prices.

There was a singer 201k centennial in a cabinet with manual at a local Value Village and they wanted $199 for it. I know that machine is actually worth that, but the thrift store is looking up the model number from the manual checking online and pricing accordingly.

I'm just thinking that around my area the days of cheep machines are long gone, and you are lucky to get a quality vintage machine. I'm wondering what other members experiences are around the world. I'm in Southern Alberta Canada.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

ever since GW started the online sales/auction stuff the number of old machines in the stores has hit near zero, I don't even make rounds anymore, not worth it.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:22 AM

It's the same here in central Illinois. About 12 to 15 years ago you could find ancient, antique, and vintage sewing machines in almost all thrift stores. Now, you'll be lucky to find anything.

I think GW auctions and eBay has killed the local markets.

And contrary to what many people think, there is a finite supply of these old machines. They may have made millions of them in the day, but that day is loooooong past. War time scrap drives, modern machines taking their places, people parting them out instead of repairing them, and changing attitudes have destroyed many of them.

I dare say in 10 years or so you'll be hard pressed to find any vintage machines, let alone any for affordable prices.

JMHO

Joe
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM

I "found" my Singer 99 a year ago when I was dropping off bags at the Good Will store. I just happened to ask if they had any vintage machines and the lady said "just that one over there". As she pointed I turned to the direction and as soon as I saw the machine I knew it was there just for ME. I paid $65.00 and it came with a horrible cabinet which I gave away to someone to use as a night stand! I would have paid even more if they had asked but I was very satisfied with the price.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Power Poster

Finally, the SA near me cut the price on a White in a cabinet. Here comes the "BUT". It is still overpriced as far as I'm concerned. They're asking $150.00 from the $300.00 they wanted. No attachments, cord needs repaired and it's filthy. They have others and overpriced. I like the estate sales and believe it or not, you can get some deals at pawn shops.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

There are antique dealers in our town who really have them overpriced. One is a wannabe antique dealer. I asked him at one of his estate sales if he had any FWs and his lowest with no attachments was $450.00 and no power cord. I just walk away!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 AM

Prices keep going up. People on CL search on ebay for "asking" or "listing" price and put that as what they'll sell it for. And of course you can ask for the moon, but that doesn't mean it's reality.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:57 AM

I think that when the price of scrap metal went sky high a few years ago, there were a bunch of vintage sewing machines scrapped. I was at a farm auction in 2007 and found myself bidding against a scrapper for a small group of treadle stands. He went higher than I could...

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-06-2014, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
There are antique dealers in our town who really have them overpriced....
Most of the older Antique Shops that used to be around here have closed up. Business began falling off back in 2000 when the first gasoline price increases took place. People quit driving around to browse little shops, I guess. Retired and semi-retired couples used to drive from shop to shop for entertainment as much as looking for a bargain or increasing their assorted collection counts.

The few Antique Shops here now that have started up in the past few years tend to not handle sewing machines except for an occasional consignment machine once in a while. Same with the indoor Flea Markets and Junk Shops.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 AM

Considering all this, I think I'll be keeping all my older ( vintage and antique ) machines. Maybe only parting with one if I know it's going to someone will use and appreciate it.

Joe