Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
machines without cabinets -- help! >

machines without cabinets -- help!

machines without cabinets -- help!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 PM

Default machines without cabinets -- help!

Hello again, everyone,
I am having done trouble adjusting to using my vintage machines that don't have cabinets (my Singer 301s and my Featherweights). I'm so used to having the bed of the machine flush with the surface of the cabinet that when I use my tabletop machines, I feel like I'm reaching up and have my elbows tense. Any suggestions? An adjustable chair so I can sit up higher? Pile some pillows on my setting bench? I usually put my FW on top of a closed cabinet with my Kenmore folded up inside. I could try using the dining table for more space, but it's not any lower than my cabinet top.
I grew up using a cabinet machine and am not very adaptable, I guess.
Ila
Old 11-24-2014, 09:11 PM

I have the same problem. My traveling machine has an acrylic extension table so that helps - but I have not gotten one for my FW yet. Most of the time I only piece on those machines. I know a lot of people quilt using these machines and it would be a huge struggle for me, so I save that for my other machines that are set into the table or cabinet.

When I use the portables, I take frequent breaks because they do sit higher than ergonomically correct for me. Can you use a TV tray for the FW? I believe the 302 would be too heavy.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:19 PM

I know what you mean. Sometimes I pile pillows on my chair or use an adjustable t.v. tray. Walmart had or has black or grey t.v. trays that are wide enough to handle a machine. I use one when I am traveling or sewing at our church for charity quilting. It does make a difference on your shoulders if you are having to reach up. A real no-no in ergonomics.

Some people cut out and stack blocks of insulation and then top it off with vinyl for the fabric to slide smoothly on the surface. This way you can inexpensively customize your work surface surrounding your machine.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 PM
Banned

If your 301 is a short bed get a cradle and put it into a cabinet. There are also card tables made for both models.

Cari
Old 11-25-2014, 11:28 AM

We have two cabinets that have a lowerable table in the top so you can set your machine level with the top of the machine, or raise it for use with the free arm. My wife uses one of them for her sewing station, but she always sits the machines on it with the table raised up.
I'd use the other one dropped down, but I just don't have room for the cabinet anywhere in the house .

Here's a couple pics of it:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]500168[/ATTACH]
Machine table dropped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500169[/ATTACH]
Machine table raised.

If your machine has a bolt hole in the bottom of it you can fasten it to the plate and pivot it down to close up the leafs.

If you could find something like this then you could have the best of both worlds.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5825.jpg   img_5828.jpg  
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 AM

I prefer a cabinet mounted machine with a large work surface too.

You could buy an inexpensive folding table and make a sewing machine table out of it. You would just need to cut a hole and build a platform for your machine(s) to sit on. Basically you would be making your own version of Singer's card tables, probably for a lot less money than an original one sells for.
Rodney
Old 11-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Ha - If you live close I could fix you up when you aren't looking.........
Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

The other day I had to move my portable over to my cabinet. I just set it on top next to the 401. They were and still are both plugged in. My chair is a combo of 2 chairs. Old kitchen and bottom with hydraulics from a task chair. Anyway my portable sits on the utility table most of the time. Got the table at Walmart. ALso got a smaller height table if I need to take it to use elsewhere. If need be get a cushion or thick pillow to sit on. Many inexpensive options.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:22 PM

Miriam...I like your comment!! Lol
Old 11-25-2014, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, I live near Denver, and I think Miriam is a time zone away. I'm going to try using the dining table and a higher chair,