Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Makes me want to buy the wood case for my 201 and sell it! >

Makes me want to buy the wood case for my 201 and sell it!

Makes me want to buy the wood case for my 201 and sell it!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:29 PM

That's incredible. I sure got a bargain on mine then. Love that machine.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:42 PM

I have a centennial Singer 201 that is in very nice condition and in a nice case. It also comes with lots of accessories. I think I have the whole set. I paid $10 for mine. Maybe I should try and sell it and collect a few pennies.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM

Go here: { http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ist/index.html }, find the 201 listings and read up on the differences.

Joe
Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
I have a 201-3 my grandmother bought when I was 5-6 (she had to borrow $5.00 from me in 1951-52). I still remember the day they delivered it to her big Victorian house. Love that machine and I was told difference between 2 and 3 was motor. Do you have the original manual? That is how I know mine is a 3. Has original case and all the feet etc. Grandmother had it, then mom who made drapes and slipcovers and lots of clothes on it and now I have it and am almost 69.
Carol, No I don't have the original manual for my 201 but I did download one from the internet. I bought the machine at a yard sale and eventually got the cover (Bentwood?) although they didn't want to sell that at first. I don't know why they would have wanted to keep it since I had the machine. Also no attachments with it but I have ordered a FMQ foot, 1/4" foot and new bobbin cover plate that had the markings on it. The owners said they had bought an old house and this machine was in the house so have no idea how long it had been sitting. We oiled it good and have been using it a lot ever since. Only problem I have is "these old eyes" have a hard time threading the needle!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Go here: { http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ist/index.html }, find the 201 listings and read up on the differences.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I did go and read the difference but I'm still a little confused. It said that the 201 had an "internal motor", mine is attached on the backside of the machine. Is that the same thing? I think it said the 201-2 had a potted motor attached on the back which makes me wonder if mine is a 201-2.
Old 04-26-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by nlpakk View Post
Thanks Joe. I did go and read the difference but I'm still a little confused.
The internal motor is directly attached to the hand wheel and there's no belt, so if you can't see a belt, it's a 201-2. If you can, it's a 201-3. 201-1 is a treadle, 201-4 is hand crank.

Nearly all motorised 201s sold in the U.S. are 201-2s. I've never seen one because all the 201s here (Australia) are from Scotland, where potted motors were never fitted.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:56 AM

I agree with you, Joe. There is one born every minute and they all shop on ebay.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Wow what an idiot to pay that much for that machine. No chance in Hades would I pay anywhere near that. Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that said one was born every minute? Sheesh!

Considering mine is in it's original cabinet I should be able to get at least $1,000 for it.

Joe
Old 04-27-2015, 03:21 PM

I was gifted a 201 in a rough cabinet but I wouldn't trade it for anything it is great for fmq except for the small bobbin size and is so quiet and smooth.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by oreo1912 View Post
it is great for fmq
That's a little surprising. I thought free motion work was the 201s one failing: They're said to have tension problems due to the thread path of the horizontal bobbin.
I thought the vertical bobbin machines (particularly 15-88 to 15-91) were the preferred machine for FMQ.

Am I incorrect? Have to admit I didn't bother trying this with my 201s because of what I'd read, but very happy to be corrected as it would mean the 201 is great at everything except sleeves (where I need a free arm machine).