Measuring for a belt

Old 05-19-2014, 09:37 AM

Ewwww. Who knew. My daddy replaced my grannie's sewing machine belt one time when I was a little kid. Wonder if that is what he used? He was pretty smart--he was a Depression Era kid.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
I don’t think that you missed anything. The difference in belts now refers mostly to the difference in quality between artificial leather and real leather belts, or sometimes just differences between artificial leathers. I stock what I think is real leather belting, but I’m not sure if I could tell it from artificial leather or not. They’re getting pretty good at making artificial leather.

As a side note, did you know that the original “leather treadle belts” were made of raw cattle skin? They would take a raw hide freshly butchered, shave the hair off of the fuzzy side with a knife, cut the green hide into thin strips, and let them “cure” into a treadle belt. As the hide cured, the portion with the shaved hair on it would shrivel up, while the flesh side (opposite of the hair) would roll out and around the hair side as it cured. If you ever get to see an old treadle belt, you’ll be able to open it and peek inside to see the hair stubble inside.

CD in Oklahoma
I don't know nearly enough about leather. I would think they would have had to tan or cure it in some way. All the rawhide I've seen has been hard as a rock when it's dry. Not flexible at all in any real sense of the word.
Rodney
Old 05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

Rawhide can be "worked" to soften it. Eskimo folks chew it soft. Once softened, the stringy nature of the rawhide is unbeatable for strength.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:04 AM

I used some old tubing left from a nebulizer machine(for delivering asthma meds). It worked great. I'll eventually buy a real belt for it. My machine is a 1910 Singer 66-1 with red eye/red head decals.
Sharon in Texas
Attached Thumbnails 1910-red-eye-002.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I used some old tubing left from a nebulizer machine(for delivering asthma meds). It worked great. I'll eventually buy a real belt for it. My machine is a 1910 Singer 66-1 with red eye/red head decals.
Sharon in Texas
I have a lot of that type of tubing since I use a nebulizer for asthma. What did you use to connect the 2 ends together?
Old 05-20-2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
I have a lot of that type of tubing since I use a nebulizer for asthma. What did you use to connect the 2 ends together?
I answered this in a PM from Crocee, but for the benefit of everyone else:

After I cut the tubing to the correct length. I cut a 1" piece from the leftover tubing; cut it lengthwise and rolled it up tightly and stuck it into the ends of the tubing; wiggled it until the 2 ends met. It worked just fine.
Sharon
Old 05-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I answered this in a PM from Crocee, but for the benefit of everyone else:

After I cut the tubing to the correct length. I cut a 1" piece from the leftover tubing; cut it lengthwise and rolled it up tightly and stuck it into the ends of the tubing; wiggled it until the 2 ends met. It worked just fine.
Sharon
If you use a needle and thread and give each side a quick stitch they will hold together even better...
Old 05-20-2014, 01:20 PM

I used the leg off a pair of pantie hose. Just stretch it real tight and tie a double knot in it. It works, I promise. I also use 3/16" tubing and a part called a hose connector. It's a little piece of plastic that you can push into each end of the hose. I never could make a regular leather belt work -kept moving while I was trying to punch hole in it. Ruined one belt. That's when I got out the pantie hose.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM

Well I couldn't get the tubing to hold together so I called a sewing place 40 miles away and they had the correct belt. They also had a bobbin case for the 15-91 so now I'm in business.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Well I couldn't get the tubing to hold together
see my earlier comment