Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: measuring fabric

I went to a fabric shop in Elkader Iowa Saturday and bought some fabric. When they measured it, they used a measuring device that I haven't seen in a LOT of years. You just pull the fabric thru it and it tells you how much fabric there is! :lol: I remember them from my childhood at the Ben Franklin store

I remember them also and not just at BF. It looked so much easier that the way that some of them do it now.

About a month ago I purchased batting at JoAnns and that is what they used! I too was amazed. It really is a great idea reborn.

At least this way you get a true measurement. I still like to buy fabric at the LQS, they give a little extra, but only charge for what you asked for. It sure does make up for some of the non-straight cutting.

I would love to find one of those gadgets! I remember they cut a slice in the fabric to tear it too.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I remember too but can't remember where.
    Yesterday I was at Joann's and the sweetest little lady waited on me. SHOCK! lol
    I'm going to look for her next time :D

LOL, I had to help the kid in Walmart measure my fabric last night. I pulled him out of electronics, and he didnt have a clue what to do! He needed one of those!

I remember that tool from Ben Franklin's too.

It even snipped it to be cut or ripped.

Blog Entries
    hmmm,i've seen that done with decorator fabrics.

I think that is great, as long as they measure from the top to the bottom. I get so frustrated at JoAnns because they don't use the groove to cut, or a ruler, so the top is rarely the same as the bottom. I have had some off as much as two inches. JoAnns rarely gives me a full yard. I guess they have a strict policy about not giving even an inch more.

Yesterday I went to my LQS and spent A LOT. I wanted to support them, even though I found the fabric for less on-line. Anyway, their markings on their board automatically give an extra inch, so I am sure I am always getting what I need. I am going to be a busy bee today, cleaning and then SEWING, since I have all this wonderful new fabric to use.

I used to work at the Singer store in the Park City Mall, Lancaster, PA, and that is how we used to measure the fabric. It was fast and accurate. I also remember that we had shelves in the back full of trade in featherweights. Wonder what happened to them?

I remember them as well....I'd forgotten about it. I'd love to find one of those cutters...now there is something worth gold!

Blessings,
    Ruth

I remember that gadget too from when I was a little girl. Our local JCPenney sold fabric and used one of those measuring devices. It even made a little snip where the saleslady would then cut or tear.

Oh Goodness...Brings back memories. The JC Pennys has the fabric in the basement and I remember being so excited when Mom needed fabric because I loved watching the lady pull the fabric through that thing and I always wanted to see the "clock" looking measuring part. Fun childhood memories.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet
    I would love to find one of those gadgets! I remember they cut a slice in the fabric to tear it too.
    I think my Dad has one of those, or at least did at one time. He got it when our little hometown store closed. I often wondered why the fabric stores quit using them.

That's a memory I had totally forgotten! My mother used to take us to the fabric store and that's the way they measured it. Too cool that someone out there is still using it - or it is coming back!

Funny I don't remember that. I was busy looking at more fabric. LOL I do remember them ripping. Ripping gives you a straight edge. I use ripping when readying my fabric for backing.

It looked like this
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I remember these too :D
    Glad to know some are still using them, or bringing them back 8-)8-)8-)

Yep, that's it. The salesclerk would draw the fabric through the machine until it came to the yardage you wanted, then she would push down on the lever to make the little snip.

I remember when I worked at Woolco and I would help out in the fabric dept. using those. You wonder why they don't use them anymore. It was a very fast way to get the fabric cut and measured.

Our Joann's uses it in the home dec department. It is pretty slick!

You are bringing back memories for me. I remember them from when I first learned to sew.

I worked in the fabric dept. at Penney's when I was in high school. I have not thought about those measuring things for over 30 years! Thanks for the memory.

OMG, I feel so old now, I remember those!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast