Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Meet Martha! 1908 Singer Spinx Treadle

Meet Martha! 1908 Singer Spinx Treadle

She needs a good cleaning but her cabinet is definitely in need of restoration! Any suggestions on how to go about restoring the missing pieces on the top? One of the drawers is missing the little knob, she needs one wheel so she can be rolled around, and the belt is missing. Thanks, Pam

Name:  Singer Spinx Cabinet.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  154.8 KBName:  Singer 1908  Model 27.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  152.5 KB

You've got some work ahead of you but I bet she's going to look great!
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Blog Entries
    I'm no help on restoration questions but CONGRATULATIONS on your new machine!

She is a beauty. I an no restoration, sorry!

Hello Pam,

Have you read Glenn's tutorials, you can find them here:-

Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets)

and

refinishing sewing machine cabinets

Clare

Thank you Clare. I was just reading through all the topics and threads and the excellent information shared by all. I probably would have made greater progress in locating Glen's tutorials but got delayed in all the topics and posts!!

http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/index.html
    Just checked this out and there is a lot of information on this site, maybe it will help. Enjoy, as we have both been bitten by the vintage bug, only wish I had more room for them, but I am at my limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
    http://www.treadleon.net/woodshop/index.html
    Just checked this out and there is a lot of information on this site, maybe it will help. Enjoy, as we have both been bitten by the vintage bug, only wish I had more room for them, but I am at my limit.
    Great information and thanks for passing my way.

Pam1111,
    Treadle On is a wonderful group, make sure to join. There are lots of wonderful folks there. (I'm one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Pam1111 View Post
    She needs a good cleaning but her cabinet is definitely in need of restoration! Any suggestions on how to go about restoring the missing pieces on the top? One of the drawers is missing the little knob, she needs one wheel so she can be rolled around, and the belt is missing. Thanks, Pam

Name:  Singer Spinx Cabinet.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  154.8 KBName:  Singer 1908  Model 27.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  152.5 KB
    My Aquilla P. looked very much like yours. She isn't perfect now but to me she is beautiful. Her gears were frozen. She even had termites in her. She needed a new top, (termites), and she didn't have a barrel. So I got on Ebay, and found a oak top and a barrel for only $20.00! Shipping and all was about $65. It also need some work but ever so much better than I had. She needed a spring in her tension assembly but I got the whole assembly on Ebay for $15.
    The cabinet I sanded and re-stained ( her cabinet was painted yellow)yuck! But since she was a free gift! I put about $100 into her, weeks and weeks of hard work but like I said to me she is beautiful! And she sews beautifully!