Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Mercury Electric Dial-O-Matic, picture heavy

  1. #11
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,643
    Caroline,

    This is gonna sound like I'm trying to be a "know it all" which I'm not, but the only SM motors I know of that use grease as lube are Singers. If you pull a motor like that one apart you'll usually find a felt washer surrounding a bronze bushing. The felt holds the oil in the bushing area as the bushing absorbs it.

    If your motor gets hot enough the grease might melt into the bushings ... "if" it's not Tri-Flow. If it is get as much out as you can and oil it with sewing machine oil. I'd oil it anyway.

    Joe

  2. #12
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,210
    Blog Entries
    2
    ah - do join the clone club - post a pic here: Will the REAL 15 clone please stand up
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  3. #13
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,803
    The grease I used was Triflow. I removed as possible using a GUM brush that my dentist gave me. Handy sewing machine tool for cleaning tight places. Thanks Joe. I learn something new everyday, especially about motors. LOL
    Sweet Caroline

  4. #14
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    ah - do join the clone club - post a pic here: Will the REAL 15 clone please stand up
    I will do that Miriam. Right now I am fighting/fixing the stitch regulator which does not work. It did not like the bobbin case I first used (that was missing) so I took the one out of my Belair to use. The Mercury liked it. It does make a nice stitch though but all I can get is a long stitch.
    Sweet Caroline

  5. #15
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,210
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I will do that Miriam. Right now I am fighting/fixing the stitch regulator which does not work. It did not like the bobbin case I first used (that was missing) so I took the one out of my Belair to use. The Mercury liked it. It does make a nice stitch though but all I can get is a long stitch.
    Get a flashlight and look up in there - look for something that is suppose to move and won't - then oil it - maybe needs a little heat
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

  6. #16
    Super Member J Miller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central IL
    Posts
    6,643
    Be careful though, you might find a mouse nest like Miriam's got in a couple of her machines. LOL

    Joe

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Illinois...near St. Louis
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Caroline,

    This is gonna sound like I'm trying to be a "know it all" which I'm not, but the only SM motors I know of that use grease as lube are Singers. If you pull a motor like that one apart you'll usually find a felt washer surrounding a bronze bushing. The felt holds the oil in the bushing area as the bushing absorbs it.

    If your motor gets hot enough the grease might melt into the bushings ... "if" it's not Tri-Flow. If it is get as much out as you can and oil it with sewing machine oil. I'd oil it anyway.

    Joe
    White 77 Rotaries also have grease tubes. As a general rule, if it takes grease there'll be tubes hanging beneath the motor to unscrew & fill with grease. If it takes oil, there'll be oil holes.

    And I've always heard to only use Tri-Flow grease on gears...Use Singer Lubricant on motors.
    Last edited by path49; 09-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.

  8. #18
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Spanaway, Washington
    Posts
    3,803
    Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Get a flashlight and look up in there - look for something that is suppose to move and won't - then oil it - maybe needs a little heat
    I guess some pictures of the Dial-O-Matic stitch regulator are in order. I removed the stitch regulator assembly and everything inside appears to be working inside, not frozen. Perhaps this one will need to go to the OSMG and see if he can figure it out. This one may be beyond my limited fixing abilities. FRUSTRATING!
    Last edited by Caroline S; 09-07-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    129
    Very nice...and I'm proud of your negotiating skills! You go girl!
    Any day spent quilting is a good day!
    Judy

  10. #20
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    12,210
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
    I guess some pictures of the Dial-O-Matic stitch regulator are in order. I removed the stitch regulator assembly and everything inside appears to be working inside, not frozen. Perhaps this one will need to go to the OSMG and see if he can figure it out. This one may be beyond my limited fixing abilities. FRUSTRATING!
    Is the dial not turning? Or is it a lever? What is going on? I have one that the dial and the reverse button froze up. I had to get way in there and soak the inside with Triflow - I must have oiled it every day for a week and gave up on it. I went back a month later and it works fine. The stuff just has to get in to the right places. On mine, there is a thing in there shaped like a ramp like thing - it was gunky.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.