Minnesota B Motor ID

Old 04-22-2015, 10:57 AM

Default Minnesota B Motor ID

I learned something new today.

My Minnesota B was made somewhere between 1904 and 1909. Probably left the Davis factory as a treadle and was sold by Sears.
Somewhere in it's long life it was converted to a motorized machine and put in a home made base.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517752[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517753[/ATTACH]
The motor is a Kenmore branded motor, that I knew, but I never paid attention to the model number placard on it. The model number is: 117-617, indicating it was made by White. OK that's fine I thought but never went any farther.
Today I was looking at my Kenmore model date list and came across a section for Kenmore Accessory motors.
Turns out this one was made in 1949.

So 30 some years after leaving the factory this old machine was converted to electric with a White made Kenmore accessory motor and mount. That's a purty cool piece of history there.

The chart I have is in the Sears site somewhere, I no longer have the URL.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails minerva-upper-front-_-web.jpg   sewing-mach-pics-076.jpg  
Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM

Joe,

Pretty cool you can accurately date the motor and the motor mounting is pretty unique. I have a Davis Minnesota New Model A which the motor was attached to the back of the pillar with two tapped holes. One of my favorite machines and probably converted in 40's or 50's like yours from a Library table treadle.

Jon
Old 04-22-2015, 12:53 PM

Jon,

I'll bet one could build a collection around retro-fit motors and mounting brackets if one wanted to.

The neat part about this motor bracket is that it's not attached to the machine head. No holes drilled or other modifications. I'm kinda fond of that way of doing it.

Joe
Old 04-22-2015, 01:27 PM

First time that I've seen that motor mount....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-22-2015, 01:30 PM

I didn't pay enough attention to the mount the first time I looked. Very cool and no harm to the machine. Something to consider for people who want to mount motors to other old machines without harming the machine.

I agree Joe. There's enough variation just in motors and brackets to build an interesting collection. Just Hamilton Beach motors alone with all the different tags that were used for different brands would be a neat collection.
Rodney
Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 AM

CD,
First and only one I've seen in person too. "I think" I've seen one other in a photo, but I'm not sure. It's a wonder what they could do with cast iron isn't it. If they tried to make that today they use stamped aluminum or plastic and it would last maybe a week.

Rodney,
I finally got a Hamilton Beech motor badged as a New Home. Has the bracket too. It runs and could be used except I need a screw to mount the motor. It's a 1/4" diameter screw, but the thread doesn't match anything I've got or can find. So I keep looking.

Joe
Old 04-23-2015, 04:15 PM

Hi Joe,

Have you come across any dating records for the early Hamilton Beach motors? I have a few mounted on Davis electrics I'm pretty curious on.

Jon
Old 04-24-2015, 05:49 AM

Jon,

No I haven't. The only dates I've seen are the patent dates on the motor's ID placard.

Joe