Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room >

A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room

A minor cat tastrophe in the sewing room

Old 11-11-2015, 03:54 PM

If you find a nice drawer unit used or new, you can get inventive and use organizers for kitchen drawers, IKEA as wooden cases that can be made into smaller compartments by sort of sliding down a wedge. I'm sure there are lots of options from other makers, even self made ones.

On the other hand, the cats need some action now and then ;- )
Old 11-12-2015, 03:46 AM

I'm reaching the conclusion with my various small objects that multiple smaller size clear containers that allow each grouping to be independent works better than a larger one that has several different objects in the same one.
For now I have my bobbins for my featherweight in the little plastic boxes that hold 20 each. For the others that I only have a few of that size, they are in a snack size zip bag. Easily labeled with which size they are/which machine they match.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:31 AM

Lol...thanks for this ! I can just visualize cats slapping those bobbins around on the wood floor and chasing them!
As for How to store/catalog them, I would think marking a small bobbin case with info on it and put all in a small tote
Would be beneficial ?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:33 AM

My Springer spaniel Libby would have had her nose in the middle or everything just to see if perhaps there might be a puppy treat in there somewhere.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:41 AM

After picking up the bobbins I took the big box to the bedroom to put the dividers back in and sort the bobbins. I had all three kittens then helping. Ambrosia kept getting into the box and picking out different bobbins to play with. The others played with what ever Ambrosia flipped out.

It took twice as long to sort them with the kittens help that it would have without. But they had fun .

Joe
Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 AM

My laugh for the day! Such cute kitties.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:20 AM

I started out with a 15 class sewing machine and don't remember how I kept the bobbins but after I got my Pfaff 1471 I got a plastic drawer unit to set next to the machine for bobbins and thread. I had some trays that lighters came in and found that the bobbins would fit so it became something like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]535519[/ATTACH] The Pfaff bobbins are in the light gray piece in the lower right and the 15 Class are in the clear plastic type at top. Unfortunately the 15 class and White bobbins don't fit nicely in the black or gray trays. Since I don't have many White bobbins they mainly stay with the machines. The FW bobbins will fit. I labeled the tray and then put it in a ziploc bag to sit on top of the others. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535522[/ATTACH] Last year as I was starting to get more bobbins I had a local gas station save trays for me, but decided not to use them as they didn't fit nicely in this drawer but kept them anyway. This morning I pulled them out and tested the two sizes I had for the White bobbins and the 15 class bobbins. The White bobbins [ATTACH=CONFIG]535523[/ATTACH] will fit in the large Bic lighter tray. I like ziplock bags and the small ones hold some misc bobbins that I don't have many of. I found that while the 15 class don't fit exactly in the sections of the small Bic trays they will fit (unknown if full bobbins will fit). The rims overlap the sectioned part and fit fairly well. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535524[/ATTACH]

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails bottom-bobbin-drawer.jpg   fwbobbin.jpg   white-misc-lg-bic.jpg   15class-sm-bic.jpg  
Old 11-12-2015, 07:37 AM

Well, the REALLY important thing here is that the cats had fun. LOL!

Mine are banned from the sewing room since the younger one likes to eat thread and the older one likes to chew on needles - he'll go up to a machine and chew on the needle that's IN the machine and get bloody drool everywhere...such a weird cat. So now there is a gate to keep them out of the room entirely, for their health and for my sanity!

We have a plastic tote box in the livingroom that is the cat play zone. They love crinkly plastic so I'll toss little things in there for them to attack, along with some catnip, and they go absolutely bonkers. Hours of cheap entertainment right there.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I've dropped boxes with threads, bobbins, etc., and "TJ" is right there to help me pick up the pieces.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:04 AM

OH MY STARS!! What a mess is right!!! I don't envy you the clean up. Really cute kitties though, can't be mad at those adorable faces!!!.

I use these and the little drawers on top are perfect for the shuttles and long bobbins, because I may have only two per drawer. I hang them up on a wall or set them on the chrome shelving. Plus you can see them for a quick grab if you need to instead of trying to search through a lot of containers, and you can label the drawers.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On-...S-39/100023878