Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mint green machine.

Blog Entries

Mint green machine.

I got this for $20, love the colour, and its made in Canada. It says its a 185J 1954, JD861550. The belt is dried so I took it off to replace it. The petal is rusted to crud. Any suggestions? Oh and some smuck engraved an annoying number on the bed of the machine - people are so weird. You can't see it in the pic - but it is there. Regardless, it will suit me fine. The case is in wonderful condition too. When I opened the machine up to oil, I don't think anyone used it - it was so clean of fuzz.

My favorite part is there is a mini button beside the bobbin to 'pop' it up to take it out - never saw anything like it - cute. Don't know anything about this type of machine, will have to read up on it and find a manual.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  276.8 KB
    Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  526.8 KB

The engraving may be a # to keep track of inventory like if it was used in a school setting etc. I have this machine, a 185K.

What a pretty little machine. Hope you get her running soon.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, she doesn't run. Candace, which way does flat part of the needle face? When I took it out it was towards the right. I tried both left and right....it is the upper thread which is bring up a loops? Also in the bobbin area, my bobbin casing is slightly wobbly.....took it all apart and can't find a obvious screw to tighten up.....I found a threading chart so the upper threading is right - not sure why the loops. Any suggestions?

I think I am just missing something small...

Wow..what a cute machine. I love the color and that low price!!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    thx!

Got her running....needed a longer needle and the flat part needed to face right...which is opposite to anything else I have. She sews a nice even seam with my manual crank for now... Can't wait to replace the belt tomorrow, so I can sew something up.

The 185J/K is basically a model 99 internally. I had one, for long enough to clean it and make it go. Then my wife stole it from me.

If you don't have a bobbin cover plate you can get it, the foot controller, and belt from Sew-Classic.

Joe

Oh I have that lovely machine and she is a favorite of mine. Sews like a dream! Yep you got a keeper there.

Are you sure the correct bobbin is in the machine? Just because it came with a bobbin, doesn't mean it's the right one:> There should be a free manual on the net if you search, this will show you correct needle placement and threading.

What a great deal. I love the green!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast