Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mint green machine.

Blog Entries

Mint green machine.

I got this for $20, love the colour, and its made in Canada. It says its a 185J 1954, JD861550. The belt is dried so I took it off to replace it. The petal is rusted to crud. Any suggestions? Oh and some smuck engraved an annoying number on the bed of the machine - people are so weird. You can't see it in the pic - but it is there. Regardless, it will suit me fine. The case is in wonderful condition too. When I opened the machine up to oil, I don't think anyone used it - it was so clean of fuzz.

My favorite part is there is a mini button beside the bobbin to 'pop' it up to take it out - never saw anything like it - cute. Don't know anything about this type of machine, will have to read up on it and find a manual.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  276.8 KB
    Name:  photo2.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  526.8 KB

The engraving may be a # to keep track of inventory like if it was used in a school setting etc. I have this machine, a 185K.

What a pretty little machine. Hope you get her running soon.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, she doesn't run. Candace, which way does flat part of the needle face? When I took it out it was towards the right. I tried both left and right....it is the upper thread which is bring up a loops? Also in the bobbin area, my bobbin casing is slightly wobbly.....took it all apart and can't find a obvious screw to tighten up.....I found a threading chart so the upper threading is right - not sure why the loops. Any suggestions?

I think I am just missing something small...

Wow..what a cute machine. I love the color and that low price!!!
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

Blog Entries
    thx!

Got her running....needed a longer needle and the flat part needed to face right...which is opposite to anything else I have. She sews a nice even seam with my manual crank for now... Can't wait to replace the belt tomorrow, so I can sew something up.

The 185J/K is basically a model 99 internally. I had one, for long enough to clean it and make it go. Then my wife stole it from me.

If you don't have a bobbin cover plate you can get it, the foot controller, and belt from Sew-Classic.

Joe

Oh I have that lovely machine and she is a favorite of mine. Sews like a dream! Yep you got a keeper there.

Are you sure the correct bobbin is in the machine? Just because it came with a bobbin, doesn't mean it's the right one:> There should be a free manual on the net if you search, this will show you correct needle placement and threading.

What a great deal. I love the green!

Blog Entries
    http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ine-manual.pdf
    manual for the Spartan 192 works or a Singer 99 manual will work
    http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/11/...ne-review.aspx
    sew-classic has info on the Singer 99 - works for the Singer 185 as well.
    You can also go up to the upper right part of this page and look through SEARCH to find a lot of info on this machine.
    A link:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...g-t197579.html
    Last edited by miriam; 01-07-2013 at 04:28 AM.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

VERY CUTE! Love collecting vintage machines.
    Born to Quilt, Forced to work.

I have one and love it. Mine came in a green box. Your box looks like the one my 99 K is in.
    Both sew like a dream

Great deal!!!!!

I wanted a 185J, but then last week I found a 285K in a cabinet, with a stool that opens for storage, the manual and a few attachments for $10. There was no place to plug it in, but they said it worked and for $10. Brought it home and tried it out and it works like a dream. I don't think the paint job or color is as pretty as yours, but it will do.

Blog Entries
    $10 what a steal. Awesome. What threw me off to get this 185J up and running is the needle has to go in flat side facing right which is opposite to every other singer machine I have

Blog Entries
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.

Blog Entries
    Yup, Joe told you how to find all the parts to get her up and running. She is a beautiful machine!

Blog Entries
    Interesting mechanism in the video clip on the 285. The 185 is all metal (foot lifter, stitch knob) and doesnt have the same underside mechanism.

Got a new belt and the only disappointment it is slightly louder than my 15 & featherweight but the funky green makes up for that! I also think I will drag this portable into the RV this summer for rainy days. That way I dont have to stress about having a FW in it - if the kids forget to lock the door.

Very cool! It is one of the few vintage machines I don't have and would like to own. It looks like it will be a good piecer for quilting blocks but I'm not sure I'd use it for a main quilting machine. It doesn't look like it has the power. I think it's a good machine for paper piecing, also. I'd love to mech/service that machine or another of that series. Do you know how to change old grease? I bet it will need that, and to be cleaned and oiled.

I bought one for $7 she does not look as good as yours. mine also has a problem with the bottom part, but she sews great.

Blog Entries
    I'm GREEn with envy.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Interesting video about the 285K. It does have the plastic stitch regulator knob and lifter. The bottom is also made the way shown in the video. The one I bought is actually like new, and maybe that is it, but I don't find it all that loud. It is not the quietest machine I have, but it is also not the loudest. I currently have roughly 30 machines. It is a straight stitch machine and I what I want it for is to piece quilts or simple sewing and it will be just fine for that. It has a perfect stitch. I didn't have to do anything to it other than put in a light bulb. I think it is definitely worth the $10 I paid and I wouldn't have thought $20 to be awful either. Guess the machine is lucky I'm the one who stumbled across it.

I did go look at a 185J several months ago that was listed on CL. It was in awful shape. The lady said she only used it for decor and she didn't know if it worked or not. It didn't and the machine itself was broken like someone must have dropped it. Personally I think she knew it didn't work.

Oh yes! Lovely.
    Anna Quilts

It takes a class 66 bobbin. Pretty machine, love the color!!