Modifying a White Cabinet

Old 05-24-2014, 12:46 PM

Exclamation Modifying a White Cabinet

OK, looking for opinions or suggestions.
I have been looking at buying a White Embossed cast iron electric machine that has a lovely cabinet but since I impulse bought "another White treadle" I have no room for the machine and cabinet. I was hoping to take the embossed machine out of it's admittedly lovely cabinet and put it into one of my existing treadle cabinets but when I asked the seller for measurements on the machine it was too big to fit into either of the two cabinets I have...sigh.
The one I was hoping to put the machine in is only about 14"x7.25" at the opening and the newest "Twig" cabinet is closer but still maybe as much as a half an inch or 3/4 an inch too small each way as the machine in question was measured at 8x 16 inches.
Has anyone had experience in modifying the opening in a treadle that worked out? I am suspecting the smaller opening must be for a 3/4 size machine as it also has a straight needle plate on the left side of the needle rather than a "mushroom" shaped.
So would anyone also know which White machine might fit into the smaller opening with the straight plate?
Thanks in advance....I would like to buy the machine but am trying to figure out a way to make it work.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Since the White is actually a board that tilts with the machine (unlike Singers that only the machine tilts) I would suggest you have someone make you a board that you can replace the original in your cabinet. That way if you ever do want to put it back to original - you can.

It sounds like your cabinet was for a VS machine, and not a rotary. I measured mine and that is about what it is. I have a machine like you are looking to get too, mine is the older version and the newer version is slightly different.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM

OK Cathy good advice...asked DH if he knew someone who was a woodworker but he had no suggestions of anyone. I will ask my quilt friends to see if someone might have a hubby or son that would be willing to see if he or she could do it. Used to have a neighbor who would do this kind of stuff but alas she moved years ago.

Thanks for the tip on the smaller opening cabinet. At least I have an idea of what to look for.