Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
More stuff that came with sewing attachments >

More stuff that came with sewing attachments

More stuff that came with sewing attachments

Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM

Default More stuff that came with sewing attachments

most of the stuff I knew was sewing machine related - has already been separated out, and this is some of the other stuff -

This is some misc stuff that I"m pretty sure is not sewing machine related - though I realized I had a shuttle for an American #1 in with this stuff (that is going to Steve H now).

Some of you may know what this pin is for.

I had no idea what the leather punch was the first time one showed up in a box of attachments, but they show up pretty often. I've also got several leather needles now too. Yea, I know that thing on the end doesn't go with them, but it also came in a box of attachments.

Some assorted sewing kits and thimbles. I don't collect this stuff and have no desire to start.

And some more odds and ends - more stuff I don't intend to collect, so I'll hang on to it until I find another home for it. I'm pretty sure those things in the front are button hole cutters.

And some crochet hooks and other hooks - hey- another leather needle! I'll have to toss that in with the others.

Here is the one button hole cutter - says "Pat May 18, 1871. I'm thinking maybe this belongs in the Victorian Sweat Shop.

I assume this is how it works.

- continued next post
Old 01-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Here is some of the oddball stuff that came in the last set (including the points).

I'm pretty sure this is a pencil sharpener

This is the item I'm curious about. I have seen similar items in a few times now, in boxes of attachments for sale on ebay. It is about 1" square

The screws have a knurled edge so they are easy to remove - here are the peices

the opening in this one is diagonally cut

And the back side

Anyone know what it is?
Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM

In the 6th picture, I think some of those hooks with the finger hole might be shoe button hooks? and movint to the left, next to the number 15 on thour cutting mat, the one with the row of little holes, I think it might be a tatting hook? I got one of those in a purchase too and that is what I think it is.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

In the 9th photo toward the bottom below the razor blade is a round looking key. Looks very similar to a key I had for a rocking chair a long time ago that had a music box on the side. The long spring to the right of it looks like a spring that may go to a small rocking chair. I certainly stand to be corrected but they do look like what belonged to my rocking chair I got for my 2nd Christmas. I know when I show my DH he'll know what most of the items are. That angled spike/nail is a doozy though.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:18 PM
Banned

these are both button hole cutters.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]459032[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails cutters.jpg  
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Skyangel - no tatting hooks, I know how to tat, and if I got some tatting shuttles, I'd hang on to them. I'm hoping to get one that has the removable bobbin in it.

Anyway, I have more of those needle looking thingies with the holes - they are for making needle punched rugs. I've got several in another box somewhere, along with some other rug making tools.

Tessigan, that "angles spike" that you are referring too - I think you mean the leather needle. It's very heavy duty, has a flattened, sharpened end to more cut a hole in leather than poke a hole through. The curve at the end gives more leverage for pushing through, and makes it easier to grab and pull than you get with a straight needle.

Unless you mean the bent nail in one of the last pictures - that is all it is, a larger nail bent with the tip snipped off and pounded a bit flat. Probably a "home made" screwdriver of some sort. If you are interested in nails, I've got a collection of square ones we salvaged while working on the house. They are cut not forged, but still neat.

Steve - should I put those two buttonhole cutters in the box with your name on it?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
...Steve - should I put those two buttonhole cutters in the box with your name on it?

If you have no need for them then yes, please!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:09 PM

I have to admit I keep some crazy things with my sewing stuff that I like to use when I sew.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:18 AM

Where am I missing the bullets? There’s got to be a live 22 shell in there somewhere......

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-28-2014, 06:25 AM

I think that collection of stuff is (almost) as interesting as the attachments they came with. Tools used to do things we don't even do now, for the most part, part of a lost art. Well, somefolks are still doing them, like SteveH!