Well, I've put aside my quilting for a bit so I can focus on getting "TAWANDA" up and running again. I have put new veener in the drawer case where the venner was so damaged. First veneer job was a disaster (bubbles, waves) and I had to remove it. It wasn't hard since the veener had hot melt glue on the back side. I just applied a hot iron to soften the glue and it peeled off with a little effort. Second application went fine. I then gluded down the old decoration that I had saved. Notice I haven't stained the wood yet because wood glue does not stick good on stained wood. BTW I do not use paste stain. I do not feel it penatrates the wood as much a I like. I then put a heavy weight on it while the glue was drying. In this case, a heavy slab of marble.
While I was waiting on that to dry, I started removing the heavly damaged veener in the lit. I had to remove the old veener from both sides. See my pile of scrap.
After getting off most of the veener I had a little remaining that I had to sand off. I use a ossilating orbital sander.
Notice their are some voids that need to be filled. I wood putty (any brand will do). I does not have to be pretty. You are going to sand it smooth and cover it up with the veener anyway. Thats't about it for now.. I just sit back and wait for the glue to dry.