Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Featherweight is trying to kill me! >

My Featherweight is trying to kill me!

My Featherweight is trying to kill me!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM

you would get it back quicker if you take it to a local shop and you won"t have to pay postage you would save in the long run.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JamieQ View Post
I have a ~1935 Featherweight I have had since 1996. I haven't used it for several years (probably 8-- maybe more) but recently got it out again and made a "shocking" discovery.

At first I though I had stuck my wrist with a pin. Ow! Then I let my daughter stitch a line (I was teaching her) and she complained that the bed of the machine scratched her left wrist . Hmmmm....

I tried stitching again, no pain at first and then-- there it was again!

Then I noticed that when I had both shoes off, (bare feet on tiled floor) or one foot tucked under me, my wrist stung when I sewed. When I slipped at least one (rubber soled) shoe on and kept that foot on the floor-- no pain!

Well, those of you smarter than I am have already figured it out, I'm sure--- my machine was shocking me! It never did this before! Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? DH is a fixit type, and if it's something relatively simple like an unshielded power cord or something, he can fix it. If it may be something inside, he won't touch it because , in his words, "if I mess up your Featherweight, I know you'll divorce me!"

Any ideas? There are VERY few places in my neck of the woods to get ANY sewing machine fixed-- much less my precious! (It was made the day my mother was born and I found it and bought it for a ridiculously low price 2 days after she passed away.)
You definitely have a short. Usually where the 3 prong plug goes into the receptacle. You should be able to see where there is a problem with the cord.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:57 PM

Yes, I had one of those that used to do that, you have a loose wire OR exposed wire in the foot pedal cord, PLEASE get it serviced, as that little tingle is not a love pat!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM

It would be quicker to just take it too a repair shop near by.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 PM

I had to replace the cord/foot pedal on my featherweight (breakage where connects to machine). I found it on-line for a very reasonable price and quick shipping. I don't have the web address handy.... but will be glad to look it up if you want me to. Just let me know.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

Please use caution, and get her checked out. I'm sure your DH will be ok doing this work to get you "happy" again!