My very own featherweight!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:26 AM

I have a 'few' different machines around the house :oops: and was having difficulty remembering how they're threaded, which way the flat side of the needle goes, which direction the bobbin thread goes, etc.

I've started making 'cheat sheets' with basic information on each machine as I use them. No more searching for 'how tos' on the web. If I have to research something, I write it down and leave it with the machine.

I have also been identifying and labeling all the different attachments I've "collected" :oops: :lol: Now if I can only find the time to try each of the out.

Hope that helps someone! :lol:
Old 05-17-2010, 05:31 AM

I've started making 'cheat sheets' with basic information on each machine as I use them. No more searching for 'how tos' on the web. If I have to research something, I write it down and leave it with the machine.

What a good idea - that would be particulalry easy in my house as my Husband and Daughter use the machines!!

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advise and suggestions.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:34 AM

Congrats on your Featherweight!!!! I would highly recommend David McCallum's book "The Featherweight 221 and I" This book or manual covers everything about a feathweight and I mean everything. It has wonderfull pictures and step by step directions from simple maintenance to restoring the decals and paint. If parts are needed be sure to check out http://www.221parts.com David even gives his e-mail address if you need help.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:52 AM

I have 2 FWs and I use both of them. A couple of months ago I bought a Janome 6600 and I still use the FWs the most. When I put the needle in I turn the hand wheel very slowly to bring up the bobbin thread. I know which way the needle goes in, but sometimes it will twist as I tighten the needle screw. Have fun with your new baby, she will be a treasure.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:44 AM

Enjoy your FW... I purchased one on ebay a few months ago and love it. I bought a 1/4" edging foot for it and some bobbins from this site: http://www.221parts.com/ They have everything you would need to maintain the machine... Good luck with it....

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
Well can you believe it - I mentioned a few weeks ago that I had a featherweight in the attic - which my Sister's Ex husband gave me (it was his Grandma's!) - in 1986 (ish!)

My Husband went up to get something today and bought it down with him!

We took it out of the box and it seemed siezed up - so he carefully turned the flywheel and eventually it seemed free- so we plugged her in and off she went!!! Purred like a kitten!!

The machine is in need of cleaning, greasing and oiling and we need a manual for servicing it, and possly a few spares...

I only have the one standard foot - so I will look around for others - any ideas?

The foot pedal was a bit sticky - so my DH took it apart and we think there may be a spring missing in there (should there be two??)

Anyway - the serial number is AG816819. So I believe it was made around 1941, and as it turned up in England with a Label saying its voltage was converted in September 1960 - I think it must have had an interesting journey to get over here!!!

Can anyone help me out with information - will my ordinary shmetz (SP) needles fit it? Can I use my ordianry machine oil?

Anything I need to know??

My DH is a wonder at mechanical stuff - and he is looking forward to cleaning her up and getting her going properly!!!

We are at a big Country Fair tomorrow - but I will post pictures on Monday!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 AM

You can get a manual from Singer... here is the link
http://www.singerco.com/accessories/manuals.html

Gib
Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 AM

Oh, how neat to have one. Wouldn't be neat to know the history of your little machine.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
Oh, how neat to have one. Wouldn't be neat to know the history of your little machine.
Do you know - I was thinking about calling his Mum (my Ex Bro in Law!) - as I know her - but I am so scared that she will want the machine back if I 'rock the boat'!!!! Aren't I BAD!!!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:33 AM

Do you know - the Singer site won't open for me - I tried the other day - to get the age of my machine. I also tried the above link - just won't work for me - I just get an 'internet page not available' message.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:34 AM

Congratulations on getting one of these jewels. I love my FW for piecing. I take it to workshops and classes.

Dave McCallum at http://www.featherweight221.com/ has a great book and DVD on the care and maintenance of FWs. He also sells parts.

Another site for parts is http://www.221parts.com/.

Schmetz needles will work fine in your FW. You can also quilt with your FW, but the small throat area makes it hard to do anything much larger than a crib quilt. You can buy a walking foot at 221 parts if you want to do SID.

According to http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html, your FW's serial number was released for production September 16, 1946. Also, it was manufactured in the Elizabethport, NJ factory, so I'm not sure where the conversion comes in, unless someone took it to England and had it converted to 220, then returned to the US and had it converted back to 110.

There is a FW group in Yahoo! Groups.