National Two Spool

Old 11-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Default National Two Spool

I just got back from stopping by the Centralia Goodwill. I never expected to see one there but there is a National Two Spool in great condition with the spool can in place sitting there for $189.00 before tax. This is one of the few occasions where I've wished I had a cell phone camera with me. I didn't check all the wood on the treadle. What I saw looked to be in good shape. Someone had the belt on it wrong and the top was jammed so I couldn't inspect the top thoroughly.
I can't do a thing about the money but if someone wants to arrange payment I can pick it up for them. It's only a couple miles from my house.
Rodney
Old 11-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Centralia, isn't that the town with the underground fire? I hope someone who will love it buys up the 2 spool!
Old 11-16-2014, 03:53 PM

Might be a different Centralia. I've lived here 8 years and never heard that.
Rodney
Old 11-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Banned

That was Seattle.

Cari
Old 11-16-2014, 05:00 PM
KLO

No, I think that is in PA. I grew up in NJ and am pretty sure the fires were from mines in Centralia, PA. If I remember right (don't count on that!), people had to move out of the town and some didn't want to leave. Hmmm, I need to go look that up.

Edited: Just looked it up and apparently all the properties were condemned and as of 2010, there were 10 people who were allowed to stay but once they died, their property also would be condemned and turned over to the state via eminent domain. Very sad.

Sorry Rodney for going off on this tangent. Glad you are on the west coast Centralia.

Last edited by KLO; 11-16-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:28 PM

Rodney, I wish I could, too, but there are two things I don't have (1) the money and (2) the room! LOL! I guess we're all in the same boat at some time or other. It's too bad -- one hates to let something like that go!
Jeanette
Old 11-16-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
No, I think that is in PA. I grew up in NJ and am pretty sure the fires were from mines in Centralia, PA. If I remember right (don't count on that!), people had to move out of the town and some didn't want to leave. Hmmm, I need to go look that up.

Edited: Just looked it up and apparently all the properties were condemned and as of 2010, there were 10 people who were allowed to stay but once they died, their property also would be condemned and turned over to the state via eminent domain. Very sad.

Sorry Rodney for going off on this tangent. Glad you are on the west coast Centralia.
Yes I saw a TV show about a Centralia, PA a couple of years ago and it was fascinating. I was thinking Rodney was one of the few left there although I didn't expect there to be a Goodwill in that town.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Banned

Part of Seattle also burned many, many years ago and they rebuilt that part of the city right over the top of it. "Underground Seattle" isn't just a culture, it's really a place.

Cari
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Part of Seattle also burned many, many years ago and they rebuilt that part of the city right over the top of it. "Underground Seattle" isn't just a culture, it's really a place.

Cari
Interesting! I'm going to have to read up on that.