Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
National two spool in Denver, 301A on Long Island >

National two spool in Denver, 301A on Long Island

National two spool in Denver, 301A on Long Island

Old 09-23-2013, 09:39 PM

Default National two spool in Denver, 301A on Long Island

Denver

It's electric and it needs work but it's pretty and the bobbin can is present
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-14275907.html

Long Island
This is the second listing for this 301
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/for/4087077507.html
Old 09-24-2013, 01:05 AM

If only I lived near Denver!!!!!
Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 AM

ok- so who lives in Denver that could pick up a machine and ship it for me?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:16 PM

How does that motor work? I see one cord and a controller. Is it missing a cord that goes between the controller and the round terminals on the machine? I actually have a friend in Denver but the shipping cost would put me over my limit, I think. I haven't actually checked rates -- just assuming it would be at least $40 to the east coast. Part of my enjoyment comes from getting machines cheap.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 PM

the fun part with this one would be to see if a replacement motor could be hung on it. Instead of driving a belt, the motor actually drives the flywheel (has a rubber wheel that runs against the flywheel). the flywheel is much smaller than the treadle version, and does not look like its got anywhere for a belt to go.

I think the cord shown is for the motor, and it looks like the foot pedal should have a separate cord with the same type of plug end. The last pictures shows the cord with the footpedal moved, so it's not attached to the foot pedal. I expect that is not the original pedal - and maybe it does not go with the machine at all.

We'll see if things work out for this baby to come live with me.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM

Yes, my question was about the cord for the controller. I don't know if those round plugs are still available. I have a National Rotary with this type of drive system -- a rubber tire or wheel on the motor pulley. Sew classic sells replacement motor pulley tires in a couple of different sizes. This machine doesn't seem to have had too much use, so motor might still be serviceable. I wonder what it looks like under all that tape.

I wish the pictures were bigger, but doesn't it look like the terminals are cast into the arm (or "pillar" as it seems to be called nowadays)? That would be odd because they would've had to re-cast the machine. Maybe it's just an illusion.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 AM

The terminals appear to be part of the mounting bracket for the motor, which you can see the rivets/screws/bolts sticking up just above the motor on the picture - can't tell the exact mounting mechanism. It's the same for the light on the front side, a bracket attached to the machine casting. Other than that, and the flywheel, it looks like the treadle version I have, so I suspect they used the same casting and added the brackets and drilled holes to run the cords into the machine. It appears National put the front arm decals on the back side of the machine, and left the front black. The light shield would have covered the front up anyway, and who knows, maybe the shield had some decals on it. And who knows if enough is left of the light socket to be able to use it. It is almost too bad the motor and light were attached by drilling holes in the casting - so taking them off will leave marks.

The good part about all that is it could be taken off and replaced with something with different electrical connections. I've seen a few other National made machines that have this similar motor arrangements, and found one motor currently on Ebay.

I was doing some searching last night. Closest I found was a Greybar - and I've read that is also made by National.

I really expect the motor housing is cracked. Someone probably tipped the machine backwards and it slipped and landed on the motor. It's probably Bakelite, and that stuff gets very brittle as it ages.

I've seen a Greybar machine (which I've read was also made by national) with this
Old 09-26-2013, 02:49 AM

copied the pictures and enlarged them- and it does sort of look like the plug might be modled into the machine - at least part of it. There are two screws on the face of the plug so half of it does come off the machine. I can see the wire running under the arm from the motor to the light, so the wire does not run inside the machine like I was guessing it might.

I did find a picture of the original light - I think this machine might be a lot more work to restore than I was thinking - but a challenge is always fun. It does appear that is an original case for the National.

Did a bit more searching and found a picture that lead back to this sight - CarolineS has a Damascus that is basically the same electrical as this machine - I'll see if I can get a picture of the back side of it. The good part, it may not be that hard to find a Damascus to get the motor and light off of.

Oh well, I'd better stop, I don't even have the machine yet and that might not work out LOL!!
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM

Makes sense that the motor housing might be cracked. I also copied and enlarged the pics but still couldn't get a clear image. there is some glare where the plug meets the machine. Those little screws look like they just hold the terminal cover on to the terminals. I think it must be on a bracket, as you first said, but who knows. I'll try to look around for pics of the Damascus or similar machines to see how they're rigged.

Why would they have to drill holes to run wires into the machine? As you said the lamp wire is external -- why wouldn't the motor & controller wires also be external?

It's fun to speculate, even if you don't get the machine. But all this talk makes me want it more!! I might email my friend and see what he's up to....
Old 09-26-2013, 02:19 PM

I found CarolineS's machine. I love the light fixture. Too bad the goodwill machine is missing the lamp shield.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...c-t177066.html

It looks like everything is on a bracket. If the motor housing isn't cracked I would still try to preserve it, though.

This graybar is cast differently:
http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...222153&lang=En