Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help identifying/dating Damascus threadle sewing machine. >

Need help identifying/dating Damascus threadle sewing machine.

Need help identifying/dating Damascus threadle sewing machine.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:35 AM

Default Need help identifying/dating Damascus threadle sewing machine.

I've did alittle research and found that Damascus was made by National Sewing machine company. I've searched thru google images and I have found some that look very familiar but none with the same pattern as on my machine. Also havent found the any with the same cabinet, some similar but details off like the drawer pulls or the iron base. I found what i believe is a model number 2972398. I thought about trying to restore it, the desk has few problems with it(the late that holds the machine out of the desk is broken and some of the lamenate is seperated. As for the actual machine, not sure whats the best was to clean it. If anyone could shed some light on the exact model/year it was made, and if its even worth trying to restore, It would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon
Attached Thumbnails imag0033.jpg   imag0004.jpg   imag0036.jpg  
Old 12-05-2013, 06:48 AM

http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media

Decals are different, but it looks like the same machine.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:49 AM

Welcome aboard and nice looking machine. Use sewing machine oil to clean your machine. Just go over it gently with a soft cloth. There will most likely be holes scattered around on your machine. Put a drop or two of oil in all of them, turn the machine up so you can see the bottom, wipe it down to remove any crud and oil everything that looks like it moves.
Take the plate off the front end and do the same. Careful, lay a towel down first so if you drop a screw you don't loose it. Also, if the machine has an inspection plate on the back, open it up and see what's inside. If you find any gears they get grease, not oil. Vaseline will work in a pinch, otherwise find a lightweight synthetic. Don't use automotive grease or lithium grease. I've heard here lithium grease can dry to a rock hard consistency.
There are some great tutorials posted here on how to clean your machine.
You can work some wood glue under the lifting veneer and clamp it down again. Use wax paper against the veneer and put a board between the clamp and the veneer. The wax paper is to keep the glue from sticking to the board and the board will prevent the clamp from digging into the wood you're gluing.
Keep us posted on your progress.
I hope this helps,
Rodney
Old 12-05-2013, 07:16 AM

BTW - I kind of wonder if you cabinet has been modified. It's very unusual to see that type of center drawer with the lift up type of cabinet (where the machine lifts automatically).

I've seen enough cabinet with the front cover panel busted - that would not surprise me at all if someone way back took it off and put something else on. You may be able to tell underneath if it had the mechanize to pull the cover panel up and out of the way.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 AM

How does your machine fold down into the cabinet? This is another one I'd love to see in person because it looks like pieces from two different cabinets put together. Does not mean that it is though, but when you have something 90 years old, a lot could have happened to it over the years.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:07 PM

Hi Jon,

The Yahoo National SM group might be able to put a date on your Damascus:

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/n...tions/messages

I also noticed a manual online:

http://www.clawges.com/sewing/damasvs_manual/

Well worth fixing up for your own use but generally these machines are of little cash value. Sewing machines, clocks, and firearms put the ingenuity in Yankee.

Good Luck

Another Jon
Old 12-05-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks for posting the manual - now I've got to go check out my attachments - I'm pretty sure I've got a set for the National VS models, but not sure.

My National is the rotary, so takes a different shirr and underbraider.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 AM

Thanks everyone for the repies.

Cathy, I tried to view the link but it's giving me a "file doesnt exist" error, maybe the server is down. I looked on the bottom, there is just a metal bracket(which is broke off) on the bottom side that holds the machine down to the back piece. To fold the machine you push back on the machine, which lifts up the rear section of the wood base, and then you pull up on the small front section of the base, once its out of the way, the whole rear panel with the machine folds down into the cabinet and then fold back in the small front piece.

Rodney, thanks for the great advice, never would of thought about the wax paper idea.

Jon, I tried to join the group but wont let me send a request for some reason, think I may not be doing something right. Ill try again tommorrow.

Thanks all
Jon
Old 12-06-2013, 05:53 AM

hmm- that link works fine for me . . . here is the text that goes with the picture - BTW Eldredge turned into National.

YOu can find some neat stuff on Needlbar - I've found the best way is to use the "search" in the gallery to get pictures of what I'm interested in. Many have notations too, which is very helpful.

0127. VS - Improved Eldredge B (I.E.B.) [Type 2-3] - Damascus

#3075880, courtesy of Sue. This version IEB vibrating shuttle (long shuttle) machine has a spool pin towards the right and low bobbin winder. Tension on the face plate, no front inspection plates, improved stitch length regulator on the bed of the machine that slightly overhangs the machine, rather than other versions with the regulator on the pillar. Automatic tension release, steel capped needle and presser bars, automatic bobbin winder, self-threading shuttle and self-setting needle. Badged here as Damascus for sale by Montgomery Ward during the 1920s.

I also found a pictures of a cabinet very similar to yours, where the machine is manually raised and lowered, and it has the front drawer that pivots out (instead of pulling out). Until recently, I've not paid much attention to the cabinets other than Singers, but now I own several non-singer treadles.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-06-2013 at 05:56 AM.