Need help with old machine.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:16 AM
Power Poster

I have gotten to the point where I just, take it apart, clean and then rebuild the tension. No point in adjusting it if there is goo on that pin in the center. If you look in the manual it will tell you how to rebuild it. Just make sure things go in the right order and the spring is in right. That one is very simple but it is possible someone put one together out of spare tension parts. Some times I swap the plate, tension and all from a working machine to be sure it isn't the bobbin area. Some times I swear Walter gets in here and turns every knob in my shop though.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I fixed that after I took pics and still the same problem.If you only knew how many times it has been rethreaded.I also cleaned that assembly well.I also tried 2 different types of thread too.
I know you said you fixed the threading problem, but if I could reach out and grab this machine, I would first of all remove the spool of thread and set it aside. Raise the presser foot and leave it up. Give about 2 or more turns to the knob on the tension to tighten it up. Rodney has already pointed out that it is loosened beyond normal. Now, with the presser foot still up and and the take-up lever all the way up, put the spool back on and thread it exactly as shown in the link sent by foufymous. Bill Holman put together a small manual for "Generic HA-1 15 Class Sewing Machines", also on the ISMACS site. On pg. 6 of it there are detailed instructions to thread the bobbin case. Wesing brought this up in all the questions we've asked you. Don't overlook how the bobbin has been filled. If the bobbin was filled with the laid down threads looking puffy and some of the twists around the base digging in, that can cause problems. BrianSews, one of my favorite websites, covers the subject of improperly wound bobbins. Well, long-winded, but that's me.

I have a 301 that rides on the floor of the car with pillows back and front to keep it from tipping over. Often, the knob on the front tension comes loose with the jostling back and forth. If I forget to check the tension first, I get the jam and birdnests. Fortunately, it has numbers on the dial, unlike my older FW.