Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help with rusted shuttle cover on badged National >

Need help with rusted shuttle cover on badged National

Need help with rusted shuttle cover on badged National

Old 05-22-2015, 11:41 AM

Default Need help with rusted shuttle cover on badged National

I have a badged National head that I posted a picture of, over on "can this machine be rescued". The sliding cover to the shuttle race is rusted shut. I think it's mainly at the outside edge of the machine. I'm trying lubricating oil and I do have some stronger rust remover. I suspect this is a somewhat fragile piece, so I'm reluctant to try using a screw driver to wedge those two covers open. Am I on the right track with the fluids, or is there anything else I can try?
Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM

they are somewhat fragile ( at least on singers.. I have never dealt with a national ) and yes the fluids are the right track...fortunately there is not a lot of Contact area for them to stick. DO NOT use a screw driver. if you must "persuade" use something like an "orange stick" ( daughter and wife call them that it is a finger nail/cuticle pusher thing ) and/or a small rubber mallet... you are after vibration NOT force....you can soak it good and then using the wooden stick lightly "tap" in the finger nail slot to kind of move the slide back and forth till it loosens ..... time and patience... not force.......good luck
Old 05-22-2015, 01:39 PM

I did it! I used a thin screwdriver and gently tapped it at the division of the head and plate. I got enough space to spray it with penetrating oil. (I'm using Deep Creep on this and it seems to work well.). Waited a bit and tapped around it with a screwdriver. If anyone else tries this, be very gentle. I started tapping between the two slider plates and it started moving! Most of the rust was at the outside edge.

Its going to take work, but I'm getting closer. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-22-2015, 04:07 PM

Congrats, glad it worked out for you. if you are going to pry or push... in the future a wooden tool is better ( less chance of chipping the chrome plating ... or scratching the polished surface)
Old 05-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help and I will pick up a nice wooden tool when I'm getting supplies this weekend. I don't think it is a National, after doing some research. Does it look like a New Home to you?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]520414[/ATTACH]
Here's that pesky cover:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]520415[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails danske.jpg   shuttle_cover.jpg