Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need some help w/identification

Blog Entries

Need some help w/identification

Hi there someone threw her out at my scrap yard and need some help with what she is TIA
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by tedytrser; 12-27-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    Deb in Texas

That is a Singer 401 (or 401A). One of the best Singers made in the 50's. Does a lot of decorative stitches and can use top hat cams to do more. If you can get it cleaned up and working you will love it.

Pat

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fluffygirl View Post
    That is a Singer 401 (or 401A). One of the best Singers made in the 50's. Does a lot of decorative stitches and can use top hat cams to do more. If you can get it cleaned up and working you will love it.

Pat
    Oh thank you
    Deb in Texas

Blog Entries
    Isn't this board great? Somebody knows something about everything! Great going Gals!

Wow!! Lucky for you they didn't know what they were "giving" to you!!!
    ~~Cathy~~

Holy cow, someone threw it out!!!! That machine is worth good money. People are nuts!

I have 2 of these, and they both suddenly jammed (needles down, can't move them). This was right after they had been in for servicing at what is supposed to be a reputable, knowledgeable dealer. I know it's something simple, just out of alignment - any hints where to go for solutions? I have a very mechanically inclined husband who will give a look when time is not so busy, but I just need to know where to look. Workhorse of a machine, and a steady stitcher. I have had one of these machines for 37 years, and the other was my mother's, so it has been in my family at least 40 years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GEMRM View Post
    I have 2 of these, and they both suddenly jammed (needles down, can't move them). This was right after they had been in for servicing at what is supposed to be a reputable, knowledgeable dealer. I know it's something simple, just out of alignment - any hints where to go for solutions? I have a very mechanically inclined husband who will give a look when time is not so busy, but I just need to know where to look. Workhorse of a machine, and a steady stitcher. I have had one of these machines for 37 years, and the other was my mother's, so it has been in my family at least 40 years.
    There was a topic started yesterday I believe that has links to the manual and repair manual- do a search for 401
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Deb are you anywhere near Austin? Northwest Sewing Center on Burnet Rd. is a Singer dealer, and the owner, Mr. Schilling knows all of these models and works on them.

You might check for a small thread in the bobbin area. Might be a very small piece.
    Lisa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast