Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine >

New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine

New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 04-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Thank you coopah. I think so too. I hope I can get it cleaned up and operational. I found a tin full of different pressure feet, and gadgets, along with a darner and her pin cushion that's a one eyed dog! The gadgets are in pretty decent shape for as old as they are.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM

I think you may have one that originally had the chain for the lift. I've only seen them with a chain or a cable, and the grove is wide like the chain type have.

Pretty neat the fixes put on it to make it work. Normally they have a long screw that goes into a hole on the narrow end of the flap, through the end of the chain/cable in the grove and into the other side of the table.

I agree about worrying about a leather strap holding it up. there is quite a bit of stress on it when open, and it's constant as there is nothing but the tension of the flap open that holds the machine up. I'd be more worried the ends are going to rip out than anything else.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 AM

I asked my 92 year old dad if he ever remembers there being a chain on this machine. He said there was never a chain. It was always the leather strap...We skyped this morning trying to figure it out without success.

I need to figure how it's routed through the pulley without getting twisted when it makes that right hand turn from the machine to the lid.

I agree about about the concern of the ends ripping out...
might have to have my hubby engineer a locking mechanism from underneath to help support the machine...

What a quandary.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM

You might look for nylon webbing too. I have no doubt it would be strong enough and you won't have any of the issues associated with leather.
Great looking machine and cabinet.
Rodney
Old 04-25-2015, 01:45 PM

It is just beautiful...and the fact that it belonged to your Grandma makes it even more beautiful. I'm sure someone here can figure out how the belts go thru.
Old 12-26-2016, 10:21 PM

i have a new ideal machine. i will look at it tomorrow. if i can figure out how i will add photos. i was searching for info about my machine. what i found unique is the key for the little partial drawer in the middle. and the knee board of the cabinet that swings in where your knees go. at first i had thought it was broken but found it to be created that way. am wondering just how rare these machines in working condition are. either way i have one here.
Old 12-27-2016, 07:57 AM

We have a parlor cabinet that has a flat leather belt for lifting the machine. err had. It is awaiting my fixing it. luckily I found a dog lead with flat leather that is the right width. However. The belt is just for lifting it out. There are wooden pieces that support the head once it is in place. Cabinet is now holding the Christmas tree so you'll have to wait a bit.
Thepaintedchairshop.. Images have to re resized very small to fit on these forums
Old 10-17-2023, 03:04 AM

Default We have the exact same machine

Did you get the machine to stay up? It normally has a 3 inch tableft top piece that flips up when the machine is raised then down to hold the machine up.