Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine >

New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine

New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine

Old 04-18-2015, 12:14 PM

Default New Ideal Treadle Sewing Machine

Hi all, I'm relatively new here. I'm so glad I found this portion of the forum.

See, I have this New Ideal Machine I inherited from my grandmother. The lift belt and drive belts were leather and have long since dry rotted away. I purchased a new drive belt. And I think I can obtain a leather strap for the lift (If I can't figure out how to get it installed, I have no idea how to make the machine stay up in a usable stance). I've attached two photos. One of the cabinet and one of the machine in the cabinet.

I know it's not a Singer or a highly valuable treadle, but it has value to me, as I remember my grandmother using it. And the top has 'repair' marks my grandfather put there replacing the lift strap a time or two. I have the old lift strap (in pieces), I just don't know how I would attach the new to lift the machine... And make it stay up.

Does anyone here have any info on these machines? I've found some info online and even think I found a user guide. But nothing on replacing the lift strap.

Thanks in advance.
Mare
Attached Thumbnails img_3946.jpg   img_3731sm.jpg  

Last edited by memare; 04-18-2015 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Sorry for the sideways pic... It was the right way when I started...
Old 04-18-2015, 12:22 PM

Golly, this is a beautiful machine and also a beautiful Cabinet! don't let it go. When you get used to it, you will love it. I hope someone comes on here to help you. The decals on the machine are so nice and pretty. Good luck.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:38 PM

Good looking machine!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM

when you say "lift strap" what are you referring too? I'm pretty sure I have a cabinet like that (it's a New Home machine, pretty sure it's referred to as Model N) that I could look at.

I'm kind of assuming you mean the strap connected to the flap that pulls the machine up and into place as you open the lid. Though I have several machines with lift mechanisms like that, with many variations.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

Oh but what a gorgeous cabinet !!
Old 04-18-2015, 03:10 PM
Banned

that is sweet! I'd be all over that. Very nice and with some GENTLE cleaning with sewing machine oil only, it would get even prettier!
Old 04-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
when you say "lift strap" what are you referring too? I'm pretty sure I have a cabinet like that (it's a New Home machine, pretty sure it's referred to as Model N) that I could look at.

I'm kind of assuming you mean the strap connected to the flap that pulls the machine up and into place as you open the lid. Though I have several machines with lift mechanisms like that, with many variations.
Yes! You are assuming right. I believe New Home and New Ideal are "sister" companies or one became the other or... something like that.
If you see the red strip of fabric in the first photo it is tied to a metal bar that lifts the machine. The other end of the strap is connected to the lid. When the lid opens to the right it lifts the machine. Boggles my mind how a leather strap can hold up that machine. It has some serious weight to it.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone for the compliments on the cabinet. I do cherish it and hope to get it operational.

I have the metal attachments case that has a variety of feet and bobbins in it. And it looks like there was a square key at one time to lock the cabinet and drawers...but I think its long gone and wouldn't know where to find a replacement.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:25 PM

That is a beautiful machine and cabinet memare!