Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: A new paint job- taboo?

A new paint job- taboo?

So, before the holidays, I picked up a Dressmaker 700 ZZ machine at a thrift store for $15. I spent $25 to have her serviced by a local antique sewing machine guy and now she purrs like a kitten. I luff her. (I also need to name her.) The problem is, that after logging 40 hours or so on her, she's way more spunky than her paint job indicates. She is beige. Rental beige. Can I have her repainted or am I breaking some kind of vintage sewing machine rules? I'd love to go metallic orange or purple since the sewing room is lime green. Where would be the best place to start? I'm in the Kansas City metro. TIA!

Name:  machinewm.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  166.9 KB

It's your machine-if you like a different colour than by all means paint it! Protect the bearing holes and screw holes and use something to knock the glaze off, and go right to town! I think some nice bold orange would be tiring on the eyes, although it would look swell. I would go with a purple. Cheers! Chaz P S Post some photos of the paint job, too!

I think that us so cool that you want to paint your new sewing machine. It definitely deserves to be other than beige. make her shine externally too!

Blog Entries
    If you know some one that does body work on cars and does the paint work to. That would be the person I would ask. They might do it for a reasonable price. Never hurts to ask. I figure if they can repaint cars a sewing machine should be a snap.

Blog Entries
    You can search the net to find how to paint a sewing machine
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Power Poster
    I have seen machines professionally painted and they look pretty. Look for someone that repaints Singer featherweights and get price quote.

How about going to a company that make stickers (liker bumbler stickers) they also make static cling. You can also have a "wraps", sort of like a whole body sticker. These you see on race cars and on advertising stickers on cars and trucks. These are stretched around the body of the object being decorated. It keeps the item covered, but does not damage the original paint finish. Whatever can be designed on a computer can be done on the wrap.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneighbor View Post
    How about going to a company that make stickers (liker bumbler stickers) they also make static cling. You can also have a "wraps", sort of like a whole body sticker. These you see on race cars and on advertising stickers on cars and trucks. These are stretched around the body of the object being decorated. It keeps the item covered, but does not damage the original paint finish. Whatever can be designed on a computer can be done on the wrap.
    How cool would THAT be??? I wonder what it would cost?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal.
    It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Can't wait to see it all painted and fancy. I do agree on some colors making the eyes tired.
    Anna Quilts

I think a skin would be so cool! I have done some repaints and ti do them right is a TON of work. Or some of the killer decals out for mixers....just google. http://www.etsy.com/listing/10315556...er-decal-vinyl
    Last edited by makitmama; 02-16-2013 at 05:54 AM.
    Cil

I'm a Queen.... at least my pantyhose say I am!

(proud caretaker of a magenta 221, purple 222, assorted 66's, a 301, a pink Atlas and Monarch, and Granny's 201-2.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast