Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Treadle belt

New Treadle belt

Where do I buy a new treadle belt? My MIL just gave me her grandmothers White treadle and I don't know a thing about treadles. I so want to play with it but the belt is old so it has stretched and needs to be replaced.

Power Poster
    You can order them but an old singer repair shop might have one. Someone on QB said aquarium hose works also. If you go to www.quiltville.blogspot.com Bonnie Hunter collects old machines and she has a list of her sources for parts on her site under the tabs at the top of the page.

Any local sewing machine shop likely sells them. That's where I bought mine. A search for "treadle belt" will likely return several online sources as well.

Also, you can probably undo the metal clip, cut the old belt down some, and reattach the clip. Just make sure to cut the end without the metal clip.
    Mark

I purchased mine from a local dealer.

My LSMG has a bunch of them. However if you don't have a LSMG you can order them from Sew-Classic: { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }

Joe

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Lucky you. Now, when you go to install the new belt, please be very careful about putting the hole in the new belt. I was using an ice pick to do that and it slipped and stabbed me in the meaty part of my hand just below the thumb. Talk about feeling dumb. I was just about to stop as I was thinking this was not a smart way to do the hole (Yes, I was holding the dang belt in one hand and the ice pick in the other) when it happened. Thankfully the puncture was not too bad and my tetanus shot was up to date. So, just be careful, please!

I get mine from Ebay, they are fine. I use a dremel with a tiny tiny drill bit and it works just fine. Yes, you can injure yourself if not careful. Keep in mind that the belt doesn't need to be super tight..just enough to turn the handwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    I was using an ice pick to do that and it slipped and stabbed me in the meaty part of my hand just below the thumb.
    I've had to install three so far and hadn't thought of putting an ice pick through my hand. I have stuck a needle into my finger at least four times, though. There has to be a leather punch specifically designed to put a hole in these slippery little suckers.
    My Singers: 12k (1883), VS2 Painted Red and Cream Roses and Daisies (1891), VS2 Victorian (1891), Improved Family (1886), 15k (1917), 27 Tiffany (1900), 28k (1911), 66 Lotus (1922), 96k41 (1947), 96k41 (1949), 201k (1953), 206k11 (1950), 222k (1959), 306k, 2x320k2(1959), 411g
    Others: Empisal (1960s), Bernina Record 530-2, Pfaff 60, Pfaff 260, '50s Myer Singer 15 clone, Lemair (1960s)

South East Michigan...at the bottom of the thumb!
    I bought a belt at Yoders in shipshawana when we were there. My DH installed it for me...yes, he did poke his finger with the awl!! I understand there is a tool that you use to install. We do not have one. So now that it is installed I am learning to treadle. It is hard!! I have a lot of respect for the early pioneer sewers!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Yes, you are right. There is a specific tool for punching that hole in the belt. I don't know what they cost but if I ever have to fit another treadle belt, you can bet I will be looking for one!!! Or ..... I will get my DH to do it as he has lots of tools and can figure out how best to do just about anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast