New to vintage machines

Old 08-16-2015, 06:33 PM

This link provides some information on the model. http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/28/
Old 08-17-2015, 05:14 AM

Hope you enjoy them! They sure are beautiful!
Old 08-17-2015, 05:59 AM

Default Welcome aboard

Seems you are in the right place for collecting Singers. Just think, you have a genuine Singer Clydebank employee and not a Chinese knockoff, how lucky you are. Nothing like the real thing.

Soman2

The other Rodney
Old 08-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Welcome to the vintage side. You will enjoy the ride.
HelenAnn
Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 AM

Hi my apologies. Some of you were absolutely right about the first machines credentials. It is a 28K. For some reason I must've had a dyslexic moment because when I re-checked the serial number on the listings I was way out.
Yes it's quite funny having an original engineer rather than a 'Chinese factory copy'. He's quite wizard with sewing machines so I have great expectations of him. Both machines have their cabinets and various feet with a bit of wear and tear but I'm sure I can locate someone who can greatly improve them. At the moment I'm busy with other family stuff and not had time to get the machines to John. Anyway ladies and gentlemen the advice I'd really appreciate from any of you is what can I do in the interim to minimise the very musty smells in the machines and cases without damaging them. Onions in a fridge help neutralise smells, just wonder if one inside the opened cases would have the same effect.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:06 AM

For musty smells - clean it out as best you can and then throw some odor eater shoe inserts in there - the kind with charcoal. My DH does this when he gets an old radio that belonged to a smoker, it helps a lot. There's usually some smell left over but mild enough he can stand to work on it and the rest seems to dissipate with time and open air.

I've also heard of using wadded up newspapers to trap bad smells but haven't tried that myself.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:11 PM

It was a lovely day here in Aberdeen - it's summer so quite a rare occurrence so I took the machines outside. Brushed out all the neuks and crannies then gave the cases and covers a thorough wipe over with vinegar (I read the thread about mould) and then did the same with the machines. I cleaned up a couple of the metal plates with toothpaste (great for cleaning metals of all kinds) and washed all the bits and pieces in the storage tray. A few of the bobbins (probably not the right thing to call them) still had thread on the them so I threw out all the thread since the smelt quite foul. The musty smell is almost gone. Currently have everything open to the air that can be left open while the two cases each have half an onion on a piece of kitchen roll lying inside them. I'm hoping that in a couple of days the musty smell is all gone so that John won't have his nose assaulted by them when they're stripped down. If the smell persists I'm going to resort to wiping them with eucalyptus oil. Bad smells bug me big time!
Old 08-21-2015, 01:26 PM

Very nice. You are now on a slippery slope. Better go ahead and build an addition onto your house for your machines now, rather than later.