Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
New to vintage machines and the board >

New to vintage machines and the board

New to vintage machines and the board

Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 AM

Default New to vintage machines and the board

Hi All, I am new to the board and to vintage machines - although I have already accumulated four. Not sure if my husband knows what to think! Ha!

I do have a question though - I have just picked up a Remington (probably 1950-1960 ish). I got it all oiled nicely and everything is moving freely, however when I try to sew with it there are no stitches. Does that make sense? Everything seems to moving along quite well, but no stitches are made. Could I have the wrong type needle? It came with cams, which I am unfamiliar with - could the problem be related to that somehow?- incorrect threading?

I hate to blast you with a question right out of the gate, but I can tell that there is a ton of knowledge here! Thanks so much!

Jamison in Oklahoma
Old 08-19-2015, 07:34 AM

Welcome to the board and to the vintage machines section. My DH joined me in my quest for vintage machines. We have had some wonderful adventures and met wonderful previous owners of the machines that now reside in our home.

This is definitely a place to get your questions answered. Not sure that I know what the answer to your question is. Although, I wonder if your needle is in correctly? The flat side of the back of the needle goes in different directions in different machines.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 AM
Banned

the way to check your needle orientation is as follows.

Look at the needle, there is one side with a long groove, and one side with a short groove (or scarf)

Look at the machine, where the needle enters the machine. look for where the shuttle/bobbin is in relation to the needle (to the right or the left or behind (only on Transverse machines))

The side with the long groove goes AWAY from the the side with the shuttle/bobbin.

I.E. If your machine has the shuttle and bobbin to the left of the needle, then the long groove goes to the right.

The reason for this is that when the needle goes through the fabric the side without the long groove causes the thread to get caught between the needle and the fabric, as the needle is lifted forming a loop that the shuttle passes the lower thread through, making a stitch. That is why the long groove need to be opposite the shuttle.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:22 AM

welcome from se TX -- great site and great members
Old 08-19-2015, 10:14 AM

Thank you everyone!

SteveH - I will definitely check the needle orientation - hopefully that is the problem. Thanks so much!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Welcome Jamison. It could be a lot of different things, maybe search the back threads up on the upper right hand corner you will find lots of info. Sounds like you are addicted already, welcome to the group of addicted vintage machine and fabric alholics!
Old 08-20-2015, 04:16 AM

Welcome from SW Ohio!
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 AM

Did you get a manual with your Renington? Think I have a Remington but no manual, so wondering on this alas, I haven't tried mine yet.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 AM

*** Hi! Y'all welcome from the upstate of South Carolina.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 AM

It was the needle orientation! So- easy fix. She sews like a demon now. Just one problem - it's full speed or nothing. Is that an issue with the foot pedal? Sorry to be so needy!