Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: New Vintage Motor Lubricant now available, would you give your opinion?

New Vintage Motor Lubricant now available, would you give your opinion?

This is not an advertisement to sell, but a request for the input of you folks who know so much about maintaining our vintage sewing machines to review this "new" motor lube. There has been quite a lot of discussion about the old Singer Motor Lubricant no longer being manufactured and trying to find the next best thing, is this it?

http://www.novamontgomery.com/feathe...month-2014.htm

It is a bit down the page that comes up, "The August Tip-of-the Month."
    ​Sheri

I just finished reading thru your link. It's probably worth a try.
    Rodney
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

Buy it for me and I'll test it:>. Otherwise, isn't it an ad asking us to buy a product?

Quote Originally Posted by Candace View Post
    ...isn't it an ad asking us to buy a product?
    Looks like an ad to me....

CD in Oklahoma
    "I sew, I sew, so it's off to work I go!!!"
    ThayerRags Fabric Center
    http://thayerrags.com/

Well, Nova's write-up is an ad, but I was wondering about the opinion of the PRODUCT from you guys. I am not at all affiliated with her. Whenever we suggest a certain product, but aren't selling it ourself, it is not an ad, right? Like not long ago, the red-and-white Singer Lubricant was recommended. And another time plain petroleum jelly was recommended...?
    ​Sheri

Nothing starts a tiff around here like lube.

I would have to say, get some and try it on the gears first. At least that way you can undo it. Then report back to us.
    Anastasia - I like to sew square things.

Quote Originally Posted by sdhaevrsi View Post
    Well, Nova's write-up is an ad, but I was wondering about the opinion of the PRODUCT from you guys. I am not at all affiliated with her. Whenever we suggest a certain product, but aren't selling it ourself, it is not an ad, right? Like not long ago, the red-and-white Singer Lubricant was recommended. And another time plain petroleum jelly was recommended...?
    She just put it up for sale yesterday, so I don't expect you'll get any opinions right quick about it since no one would have it.

I know no one would have used it yet, but I believe she posted the ingredients or how it is made, at the bottom of the entry, that I was hoping a chemistry nerd (that is a compliment, as I am chemistry-challenged,) could look at and say "looks good" or " bad news, what is she thinking."

Lube Wars, huh? :-) oops.
    ​Sheri

I personally know Nova. I have taken a class from her. She is a wonderful person who has a lot of information on Featherweights. I plan to buy this product. She had said in class that she was trying to develop a product to use as a lubricant in place of the singer lubricant. You can go to her website and see all of her recommendations.

Jill

I don't see any mention of the formulation, but I have read in a White Rotary manual that petroleum jelly is an acceptable substitute for motor lubricant. All it's doing is lubricating each end of the armature spindle.

She states in her video to be careful not to push the wick into the armature, but that would never happen, as the armature itself never receives lubrication.
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast