Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
No. 41 in my collection is this Kenmore 158-17560 >

No. 41 in my collection is this Kenmore 158-17560

No. 41 in my collection is this Kenmore 158-17560

Old 01-31-2014, 08:11 AM

Default No. 41 in my collection is this Kenmore 158-17560

Goodness knows and my DH also, that I do not need another sewing machine. I counted my sewing machines yesterday and this purchase makes #41. I definitely will be trying to find new homes for some of them when the weather warms up a bit. It is my usual custom to check CL everyday and today I found this Kenmore that was being sold for parts for $20. The gentleman didn't know anything about sewing machines and the needle bar would not move very far either way so he figured that it was only good for parts. It looked to be in pretty good shape and I figured it just needed some TLC as well as oil. It was in a nice Sears cabinet. My DH got to work on it last night and this morning it is humming right along. All of the knobs turn easy and it sews a lovely straight stitch. I have a question about the hole in the front that I think should have some kind of knob in it but maybe it was just a name faceplate. Also I can't figure how it would sew backwards except that maybe there should be a knob for the hole that would regulate the back stitching. If this is true by what name should I be looking for this part. What kind of cams does this machine take? I think it is convertible to a chain stitch but now sure if I have all of the parts for that. I also cannot get the knob at the bottom right of the machine to turn. I think it lowers the feed dogs. I didn't get a manual or any feet except the one that was on the machine. It was also missing the bobbin holder so I don't know what size of bobbin holder it would take. I have a 158-17550 and I would like to know if I could follow this manual for maintenance. Lots of questions, huh?
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-top-.jpg   kenmore-top-off-showing-cam-area.jpg   kenmore-158-17650-top-off.jpg   kenmore-158-17650-hole-front.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 09:46 AM

Blackberry,

Here is what your 158-17560 should look like:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]459619[/ATTACH]
This one went to a new home in the U.S. Virgin Islands last year.

Your machine is missing the reverse lever. It is a small chrome plated lever that sticks out of the slot just to the right of the stitch control knobs. I don't know of a source, but you can check with the Sears parts site
{ http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...-machine-Parts }, they "might" have one. Or maybe a LSMG.

It's also missing the second thread spool pin. You can find that at Sew-Classic:
{ http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }

The little knob on the bed just in front of the pillar is the feed dog control. Look under the bed and follow the linkage to the pointed shaft that passes through a hollow piece attached to the feed dogs. They gum up right there. Flood it with Tri-Flow, wiggle it, gently tap it, and it might take some heat, but eventually they free up.

The machine takes the large top hat cams, I see them all the time on shopgoodwill.com. They come in light blue, orange, green and beige. All the same cams, just different colors for different series of Kenmores.
If you search out accessories and cams for that machine be advised it is a low shank machine. Many Kenmores use high shank feet too. So learn to tell them apart.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails kenmore-158-17560.jpg  
Old 01-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Thanks Joe for the info. I just knew you would be knowledgable about this machine. The one in your picture is beautiful. I wonder if I will be able to find all of the parts to mine.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM

I have the 1756 also, it's a great running machine and I think this one is a center needle machine and a low shank so you should have no problems finding many feet to fit. Enjoy it! These machines are very well made.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Blackberry: if you are still liking for the box of attement and cams. I think that I have some. this is the some machine that I gave to my son and D-I-L and had to sets of cams and thing. I will look it up and make sure I'm think of the right box. Let me know if you can use them.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
Blackberry: if you are still liking for the box of attement and cams. I think that I have some. this is the some machine that I gave to my son and D-I-L and had to sets of cams and thing. I will look it up and make sure I'm think of the right box. Let me know if you can use them.
Yes, I am still looking for the box of attachments and cams. I would be most grateful to know if you have them. Please let me know.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:55 PM

Blackberry,

I forgot to say that yes it will do the chain stitch with the appropriate attachments. But you need to be sure to get the correct needle plate. There is at least two and maybe three variations. They do not interchange.

Joe
Old 01-31-2014, 06:26 PM

blackberry here are the attachments and cams that I get on the frist look in the sewing room I'm still think that I have one more but not coming up with it.
The 1st is for a model 600,
2. I can not find a model #
3.&4 model 900
5. is for model 717
also have a touch and sew foot pedel.
I hope some of these will help you out. if you think that you can use some of them let me know and we will work something out. if not sorry to have got you hopes up for nothing.

Sorry hope you can make "head and tell" out of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 010.jpg   011.jpg   012.jpg   013.jpg   014.jpg  

015.jpg  

Last edited by sweetpea; 01-31-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Holly molly, that is a lot of machines!
Old 02-01-2014, 07:06 AM

The missing reverse lever is probably silver painted plastic. I got a Kenmore in the same condition last week. Not sure if mine can be repaired. My first machine was Kenmore 158-1756. It was a wedding present in 1976 purchased at Montgomery Wards from my parents and I still use it. Dad worked several jobs, including Wards. As a matter of fact I'm heading out to a sewing group shortly with it. I teach folks to sew pillowcases for ConKerr Cancer.Heavy as heck, but indestructible. Someone must have hit some pins at one point because the needle is slightly to the right of center and the repairman said it couldn't be fixed. Maybe someday I'll see if I can fix it myself, thanks to this group.