Kenmore 158-17560 Cam Problem

Old 07-09-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Kenmore 158-17560 Cam Problem

Sometime back I posted about a problem with getting the metal cam off this machine. Well, I have tried several things and still I cannot get this metal cam off this machine. From the pictures in the manual it appears there is a screw in the center of the cam but there is no screw in this machine. It kind of looks like there are screw threads but the manual says it just pull off when the needle is in the top most part of the machine. Here are some pictures of the black metal cam. I am hoping someone on this board might have a solution for me or at least some ideas to try and get this metal cam off. Of course, it has to be on the machine for the internal cams to work so once I get it off I need to be able to get it back on. I would like to purchase some additional cams but haven't done so yet and won't until I can get this cam off. It doesn't exactly look like the one pictured in the manual but I am pretty sure this is the correct cam for this machine because the numbers seem to match Kenmore numbers. This cam seems to be more straight up and down instead of the curve shape as shown in the manual. The reverse lever is also missing but that is another issue that I am working on.
Attached Thumbnails cam-top-view.jpg   cam-picture-manual.jpg   cam-side-view.jpg   cam-partial-side-view.jpg  

Last edited by Blackberry; 07-09-2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 AM

I would be using Liquid Wrench or Kroil to the post where it should be sliding. After that sets for a few minutes try a hairdryer to add some heat. It looks like you might have old gunked up oil or even possibly some rust holding it there. Sometimes it take a few days with this type of thing applying the penetrant a couple times a day and trying to get the part to move. Be patient but keep at it.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:49 AM
Banned

x2 on the patience aspect. I bought a Florence Treadle (posts later) that had the bobbin winder so gunked up nothing would move.

Kriol, tap gently, wait a day, Kriol, wiggle a little, wait a day, Kriol, wiggle a lot, wait a day, Kriol, Spun free!!! now that it has released, I am in the process of getting out the residual rust that was not binding it.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:55 AM

What Christy said.

Those cams just pull up and off. I have had several of those types and still have one, that is how they work. In a bit I'll pull the cam from mine and take a pic of how it's retained. Float it in Tri-Flow or some other penetrating oil and let it sit for a spell. Don't go tearing the machine apart for something that is not necessary.

Joe
Old 07-09-2014, 09:42 AM

Blackberry,

The following pics are from my 158-17570 machine. Although the steel ZZ cam is slightly different, it uses the same exact cams that your 158-17560 does. They also snap on exactly the same. I know this coz I had a 158-17560 too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482199[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]482201[/ATTACH]
You can see the little spring loaded detent ball in the side of the shaft, and the grove in the bore of the cam. This is where your problem most likely is. Considering all the old oil I see in your first pic I suspect the old oil has gummed up the detent ball and or glued the cam on the shaft.
That is why there is no need to disassemble the cam drive. Just float it in a good penetrating oil and work the cam up.
The cam has a finger grove around the sides, so you might take a pair of pliers and pad the jaws to get a better grip.
Then rock it slightly while it's floating in oil.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails img_5681.jpg   img_5682.jpg  
Old 07-09-2014, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the pictures of your cam, Joe. I think mine is really stuck badly so it will probably takes several applications and several days before it comes loose. Then should I keep soaking the spring loaded detent ball so it will work properly with other cams.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:35 AM

I have been desperately trying to find one of these -- I bought a Kenmore 158.17600 at thrift store, in perfect condition, but the metal cam is missing. You don't have any for sale by any chance, do you? Or know where I can locate one? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:26 AM

I have a 1756 and it's a fantastic machine -- basically the venerable 1410 everyone raves about but with the addition of a cam assembly.

Have you tried eBay for the metal cam?

And to reiterate what others have written, the metal cam should just pull straight off the post.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:32 AM

The metal cam looks to be sitting crooked on the post.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:43 AM

It looks like you could get a small gear puller on it. I doubt it will take very much force at all to get it off, just more than you can apply with your fingers. Another idea is to make a puller with a couple skinny screws that fit in the holes in the cam. Put the screws through and start nuts on them underneath. Run the nuts up the screws until the ends of the screws rest on the base for the cam. Slowly crank both nuts up the screws equally until the cam breaks loose.

A GENTLE tap downward on the cam might break it's bond too. Cushion the top of it with a piece of wood so you don't mar the cam.
Rodney