Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Paint repair?

Paint repair?

Have tan 301A. Paint on front edge of sewing table is chipped for about 3inches. What is a good way to fix this?
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    A picture would help. If these are small chips a paint pen may work. Craft stores carry Sharpie fine point pens in many colors.
    Ken

There have been a few folks who've mixed their own paint to try and match it. I've not seen any successful matches though. Honestly, touching it up if it's pretty chipped will probably look worse than leaving it alone. I have an Elna (green) that is so badly worn that I'm debating about doing a full repaint. If your machine is really bad, you may consider a repaint as well.

I have several old black sewing machines with chips and a gouge or two. I am going to try Testors model paint over some primer and see what results I get.

For a really bad one though, I'm agreeing with Candace. Leave it alone or to a complete repaint.

Joe

Thanks for the advice. It's just a 3" area along the front edge about 1/4" wide. Still haven't managed pictures on the forum yet. I think we'll just leave it for now. Hate to mess with a good thing and it sews beautifully.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I'm wondering the same thing - I have a Singer 500 in great shape but the paint is bubbled up all over the place - not just one small area. I've wondered how hard it would be to repaint but I am NOT a painter. It is beyond touch up paint.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Take the needlebar cover off and take it to your favorite paint counter and have them match it. Likely the smallest amount you'll be able to buy is a quart, but it's relatively inexpensive, and you'll have plenty for touchups!

Miriam, the problem with the 500a is that it's aluminum, which means you have to use a special primer on the bare metal after you get the bubbled stuff off. It's a project, that's for sure!
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!