People are so helpful

Old 10-25-2012, 09:33 PM

Default People are so helpful

I find this Quilting Board so helpful. I was having trouble with my FW & I've got it fixed now.ArchaicArcane talked me through it. She must have thought I was so dense. Now I have another question. I've asked this before , but I don't think I explained it well enough, so I'll try again. I read about so many interesting machines, but I have never read about this one. About 52 yrs ago my DH bought me a new machine at Eatons. The brand name was Domestic. It was a wonderful machine. It had discs to do decorative stitches. The color was green & gold. I guess I got rid of it, cuz I wanted something fancier, & now I'm sorry. Has anyone ever seen one of these or are there any of these still around?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 PM

I definitely did not think you were dense!! We all start somewhere. Congrats on getting started!
Heck, if you saw me try to sew a straight line you might think I was dense.

2 years ago, I hated sewing and machines especially. I would just kick my machine when I walked past it. ( That's the kind of animosity that can only develop over more than a quarter century with a machine you didn't want for your 10th birthday, but still keeps hanging on to you.... )

Tuneups? Fugetabudit!!

In fact, when I bought my first house, I found a sewing machine in the basement. It was a White or Domestic, I can't recall which at the moment and looked a lot like the Old Singers, except it was blue. My neighbor was in the army, and knew the seamster there. He tuned it up for me, and test sewed it, and pronounced it a wonderful machine.

I tried to sew with it, made several lovely birds nests, and donated it to the emergency relief society.

These days, I wish I'd kept it. At least I know it likely went to someone who could make use of it. I've seen Domestic machines here, but usually they're older than you describe, in treadles. Other than that,.. I know nothing.

The latest tally here is 21 sewing machines in my collection (though 2 of those are also listed in the want ads). 11 parts machines, and 9 machines to fix up to sell or donate.

The scary part is, 95% of that is from the last 10 months - what will this place look like in 10 years?

This may be the path on which you've landed as well. Welcome.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:26 PM

It's possible that it was one of the Japanese clones. They have all sorts of names on them depending on who was selling it. I'll bet if you do a Google image search you might just find one that looks like the one that you had.

ETA: Here is a green one. Did it look like this one?
http://hallandale.showmethead.com/ar..._18849352.html

Last edited by cabbagepatchkid; 10-26-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:10 PM

By then Domestic was a division of White (when was White bought/merged?). You might try comparing with Whites of that era, too.