View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 02:02 PM
ArchaicArcane

I definitely did not think you were dense!! We all start somewhere. Congrats on getting started!
Heck, if you saw me try to sew a straight line you might think I was dense.

2 years ago, I hated sewing and machines especially. I would just kick my machine when I walked past it. ( That's the kind of animosity that can only develop over more than a quarter century with a machine you didn't want for your 10th birthday, but still keeps hanging on to you.... )

Tuneups? Fugetabudit!!

In fact, when I bought my first house, I found a sewing machine in the basement. It was a White or Domestic, I can't recall which at the moment and looked a lot like the Old Singers, except it was blue. My neighbor was in the army, and knew the seamster there. He tuned it up for me, and test sewed it, and pronounced it a wonderful machine.

I tried to sew with it, made several lovely birds nests, and donated it to the emergency relief society.

These days, I wish I'd kept it. At least I know it likely went to someone who could make use of it. I've seen Domestic machines here, but usually they're older than you describe, in treadles. Other than that,.. I know nothing.

The latest tally here is 21 sewing machines in my collection (though 2 of those are also listed in the want ads). 11 parts machines, and 9 machines to fix up to sell or donate.

The scary part is, 95% of that is from the last 10 months - what will this place look like in 10 years?

This may be the path on which you've landed as well. Welcome.