Pfaff 221 help

Old 09-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Default Pfaff 221 help

I have just been given a Pfaff 221 flatbed machine & it has no foot control or power cord. Does the plug in for the foot control have a place to plug in the machine power cord? Do they sell together or each separately.I am confused how this works. Is there a place online for info on this machine? Thank you for any help you can give me!!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 AM

A quick search didn't reveal much, but often the power cord and foot controller are one unit with the wire for each part culminating at the plug that attaches to the machine.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 AM

I'm not sure with this model. If you don't find a receptacle on the machine to plug into you will probably want to find a terminal and wire into that. Can you post a photo of the machine? I can't even find an image to get some idea what you got!
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 AM

Or did you get a Pfaff 1221?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:32 AM

If you did get a 1221 the machine and plug are in one unit. Check on ebay they have a lot of pfaff plugs and they come on off and on all the time.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:28 PM

Thanks guys-you're the best!! Ordered one on E Bay just now! Now I just hope machine works & no other major problems!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
Thanks guys-you're the best!! Ordered one on E Bay just now! Now I just hope machine works & no other major problems!
WOW-Plugged that foot pedal in & it sewed immediately the most perfect stitch! Better than my newer Pfaff. Doing the Happy Dance!
Old 10-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by hairquilt View Post
WOW-Plugged that foot pedal in & it sewed immediately the most perfect stitch! Better than my newer Pfaff. Doing the Happy Dance!
I've only just advertised my Pfaff 260PE (in Australia, but still not even hinting where or they'll do a SteveH on me) and every time I try it out I want to keep it - will power is strong today.
It's the most amazingly fast, smooth and does-it-all machine I've ever seen (it does beautiful embroidery stitches). Frudemoo had a Pfaff from 1980 that she said hers also a pleasure to use. Hers sold in minutes, so they must have a pretty good reputation.
I've been surprised by how much they're worth compared to, say, 201 Singers.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:03 AM

don't do it manicmike! I'm having withdrawal symptoms for you!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:04 PM

Pfaffs are fantastic machines. I hope you have the presser feet for it. They are rather unique because of the IDT (walking foot) system and expensive to replace. Quilters love them for that feature.

If you don't have a manual, you can get it here: http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf
Scroll down to your model number and click on it, then scroll down again to same model number and click English, and then scroll down again and click Manual. In other words, keep scrolling and clicking until it downloads.

There are two yahoo groups you might find helpful and I think they both have service manuals (and user manuals) in their files. They are called oldpfaffphorum and Pfaff_fixit

There are a couple of Achilles Heels: nylon camstack and a plastic screw that secures the handwheel (don't overtighten when you put it back together--ask me how I know!) I have a 1209 that is one of my more recent acquisitions and it has a bobbin winder problem, but it's a different type of bobbin winder than yours. They are usually listed in the literature as "no grease" machines but the nylon parts are pre-lubed with what appears to be white lithium grease and sometimes that turns to cement when old. If it's working and not hardened, your machine should be okay.

I did have a 1221 or 1222 (I don't remember which) back in the early 1990s that was a $5.00 garage sale find and I loved it at first, but it had a loose connection on the circuit board and would just stop sewing. My stepfather resoldered it and it worked briefly and then stopped again. I put it away at that time and then eventually gave it away when I moved to a different state. Now, those are quite collectible, even in the parts or repair state.

Enjoy your machine. They are exceptional. I just wish they were still all metal like my 332.