Thread: Pfaff 221 help
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 07:04 PM
NapaJohn

Pfaffs are fantastic machines. I hope you have the presser feet for it. They are rather unique because of the IDT (walking foot) system and expensive to replace. Quilters love them for that feature.

If you don't have a manual, you can get it here: http://s2.vsmgroup.com/VSM/Pfaff/pfaffmanual.nsf
Scroll down to your model number and click on it, then scroll down again to same model number and click English, and then scroll down again and click Manual. In other words, keep scrolling and clicking until it downloads.

There are two yahoo groups you might find helpful and I think they both have service manuals (and user manuals) in their files. They are called oldpfaffphorum and Pfaff_fixit

There are a couple of Achilles Heels: nylon camstack and a plastic screw that secures the handwheel (don't overtighten when you put it back together--ask me how I know!) I have a 1209 that is one of my more recent acquisitions and it has a bobbin winder problem, but it's a different type of bobbin winder than yours. They are usually listed in the literature as "no grease" machines but the nylon parts are pre-lubed with what appears to be white lithium grease and sometimes that turns to cement when old. If it's working and not hardened, your machine should be okay.

I did have a 1221 or 1222 (I don't remember which) back in the early 1990s that was a $5.00 garage sale find and I loved it at first, but it had a loose connection on the circuit board and would just stop sewing. My stepfather resoldered it and it worked briefly and then stopped again. I put it away at that time and then eventually gave it away when I moved to a different state. Now, those are quite collectible, even in the parts or repair state.

Enjoy your machine. They are exceptional. I just wish they were still all metal like my 332.