Pfaff 30

Old 09-07-2015, 02:50 PM

Default Pfaff 30

Have come across a really lovely example of this machine though the case has a big of wear. The seller is asking for £80. Is this too much to pay for this machine. I've never had a pfaff so quite keen to add it to my very modest collection of black beauties
Old 09-07-2015, 03:08 PM

I think it's too much. It is a pretty little black straight stitch machine that uses a class 15 bobbin and makes a good stitch. If it were a Pfaff 130 in good shape, I would say it is worth that amount.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:48 PM

Ok thank you for that.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sheilz View Post
Have come across a really lovely example of this machine though the case has a big of wear. The seller is asking for £80. Is this too much to pay for this machine. I've never had a pfaff so quite keen to add it to my very modest collection of black beauties
Take a look at pfaff 30 on Ebay. Almost every one that comes up will be a 130, not matter how many times you type in 30. Don't let my opinion be the deciding vote. I have a Pfaff 30 in a cabinet. It came with a Pfaff tin that had attachments, and the manual was included. The thrift store had it listed at $99 for several weeks. When the price went down based on the sticker color, I caved in and bought it, even though by then the cabinet had been gouged up badly from shoving it around, and fiddly fingers had just about dismantled the tension. I already had two Pfaffs, a 1472 and a 360. In the past 15 years, I have seen only one other 30 and it was in a local sale, and it was at almost a give away price. The 30 was the beginning of my addiction because anyone who sews knows you need at least two machines for that time when you are in a crunch to finish a project and something goes wrong with the one you are using. The problems I have had with any of the Pfaffs has been because I overlooked something, like forgetting I dropped the feed dogs on the 1472, or needing to dismantle the handwheel and grease the threads on the 360. Ask yourself if you will ever use the 30, or do you just want it for collecting. I compare it to the Singer 185 for size, ease, and dependability.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:31 AM

Price is the last thing you should consider about a vintage machine, unless the price is outrageous, which this is not.
1. Do you want it?
2. Is it in good, operable condition?

It doesn't make sense to quibble about a difference in price of £40 or £50 when you can easily spend that much making one quilt. (It reminds me of people who agonize over air fares and then spend a fortune on hotels.)

"Penny wise..." as the saying goes.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM

I think there is a lot that goes into price, condition, what comes with it, how far you have to drive, where do you live, do they have a lot in your area, so many things. It is so hard to give a "good or bad" on a price, not knowing everything. Also do you like the machine? If it is just what you want, go for it. It would be hard to say on a good machine. Buying a new cheap machine that is basically junk costs more.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:16 PM

All in the eye of the buyer. From my perspective, I love obtaining treadles that must have been brought over from Europe to the USA by the owner. How else would my Pfaff 30 with German manual have gotten here? Not likely imported for use in the USA. Same for my Singer 28 combo handcrank and treadle, Jones CB treadle, Jones Spool treadle...

You yourself say it is lovely. Price is not the only factor. Do you think it is a fair price?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
Price is the last thing you should consider about a vintage machine, unless the price is outrageous, which this is not.
1. Do you want it?
2. Is it in good, operable condition?

It doesn't make sense to quibble about a difference in price of £40 or £50 when you can easily spend that much making one quilt. (It reminds me of people who agonize over air fares and then spend a fortune on hotels.)

"Penny wise..." as the saying goes.

Price is the first thing I check after looking at the photos and the ad. The price is a huge factor to me and my hubby, along with distance to retrieve it especially since retirement and funds are very limited. The extra money I save could go for petrol etc. So I do not think quibble is the right word. That amount of money is a lot for some of us. Being frugal or thrifty is a much better word for me at least. Here in the states in my area in particular it is okay and expected to "haggle " over the asking price.

I also see the logic in cheaper air fares which is just sitting getting to and fro and then putting that money saved into hotel rooms for the comfort, the location and duration of the vacation.

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I think there is a lot that goes into price, condition, what comes with it, how far you have to drive, where do you live, do they have a lot in your area, so many things. It is so hard to give a "good or bad" on a price, not knowing everything. Also do you like the machine? If it is just what you want, go for it. It would be hard to say on a good machine. Buying a new cheap machine that is basically junk costs more.

I agree. if it is a machine I want for my private collection I do usually save up for them knowing I am more selective and will probably pay more. That being said a lot of great 5$ machines have come to me, and were anything but junk. It comes with experience in learning what to look for. We always ask to open them up and look inside. So far everyone has been good with that and usually very interested to see the inside too.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:26 AM

I'd rather not spend my vacations in airports waiting for an oddball connection at 3 a.m. In fact, I'd rather not go at all if this is the case. Think of the money I save by staying home.

If a machine I've been looking for becomes available, I'm not going to pass it by (and wait another five years) because someone else got a similar one for $30 less.

Some may consider this extravagant behavior. To me it just makes sense.

Last edited by Manalto; 09-09-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
...Here in the states in my area in particular it is okay and expected to "haggle " over the asking price.....
I’m not much into the haggling game. The best example of when not to haggle that I ever saw, was at a yardsale where a lady didn’t like the price of an item and said she wouldn’t give that much for it. I don’t remember what the price was on it, but I thought that it was a bargain. Let’s say it was $5.

She looked around a little bit and then asked the gentleman if he would take $3 for the item. He said no, and that it was $6 or nothing. She complained that it was tagged $5, at which time he told her that it was mismarked, and should say $7. When she complained that he was raising his price every time that he priced it, he said “Yep, and if you still want it, it’s now $8, do you want to keep haggling?” She quit complaining and left.

Sometimes, haggling insults people when they have a good price on something.

CD in Oklahoma