Pink Necchi NA

Old 09-09-2016, 06:00 AM

Default Pink Necchi NA

I found a pink Necchi NA (I think they call it a Nora) at an estate sale yesterday for $20.00. Given the amount of junk there, I'm relatively sure it will still be there tomorrow for the 50% off day. On cursory inspection, it looks to be in good shape (no paint chips or visible broken parts). It's in a cabinet with no legs. I've been wanting a pink machine, but expecting it to be a 15 clone. I'm not too sure about tackling a Necchi, though, with my novice machine skills.

Is the Necchi a machine to fall in love with? How about parts?

bk
Old 09-09-2016, 04:40 PM

My very first vintage machine was/is a Necchi Supernova. She's a wonder of engineering! And my sewing machine guy raved on about the quality of her fitting and the substance of her. Honestly, I love her and blame her entirely for my obsession with vintage machines. I don't know about parts - she came to me intact with all accessories, including a full set of cams, multiple feet, extra bobbins, a ruffler, tools, and 2 manuals. So I haven't had to look for any. But there are Necchi groups out there, ought to be a resource.

That said... her decorative stitches are not very precise, and her straight stitch is just OK. (My Singer 500A sews much nicer.) It's possible these issues could be fixed and the Necchi would absolutely live up to its reputation. I took it to the shop when I bought it and had the guy there get her working again, but it was also the first time for him to work on a vintage Necchi and maybe it could still be tweaked a bit.

I also think I might just be a peasant at heart. My favorite machine right now is my little straight stitch Sewmor. Nothing fancy, but SOOO quiet, and makes a nice stitch.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:25 AM
Power Poster

I had one. Somebody use liquid wrench on the stitch length and melted something in there. Otherwise it was an excellent well made machine.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:43 AM

Default I'll think I'll pass

" I don't know about parts - she came to me intact with all accessories, including a full set of cams, multiple feet, extra bobbins, a ruffler, tools, and 2 manuals."

This one has none of those things. I think I'll pass. I have a storeroom full of project machines, including a Supernova. Until I get some of those done, or disposed of, I think I better pass.

Thanks, Miriam.

bkay
Old 09-10-2016, 05:08 AM

From what I understand and have read about Necchi machines, they are well made and highly desirable. I have a Supernova we bought at a thrift store and I hate to say it, but I haven't sewed on her yet due to our moving. I don't think I'd pass on a Nora if it's half price.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:17 AM

*** I would love it & want it just because it is pink.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 AM

You can't go wrong with a Necchi, they are classic prized machines, so well built.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:28 PM

I went back and it was already gone. The two Kenmores and the Brother were still there, but the Necchi was gone.

bkay