Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please ID this "Vantage" machine >

Please ID this "Vantage" machine

Please ID this "Vantage" machine

Old 10-30-2013, 06:57 PM

Default Please ID this "Vantage" machine

He says "make me an offer and it's yours." How about five bucks? No, seriously, what is this machine and what would be reasonable to offer? I bought a 15 91 clone in a really nice cabinet for $50 this past summer. I've seen ads around here (Baltimore area) from $20 up to $300 (with 300 being ridiculous) for machines in the case. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/atq/4121752498.html
Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 PM

It is a "Vintage" machine, and it looks like it might be a Singer 99. $20-$30 is what I would offer. The bottom of the case look like it might be done.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:15 PM

Yeah, the "vintage" part I knew and chuckled about. (I don't know why people don't do a simple spell-check.) I was thinking a 99, but still learning.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Power Poster

It looks like a 99 with that flat nose plate - the 66s have a bend in the nose plate. I sell mine for $50 more or less depending on what goes with it. That one is missing the slide plate - they can be bought on line. It may also need to be serviced. Check the bobbin area to see how full of lint. Also test the tensions. Does the machine turn? How does the motor sound? Does the take up lever rub when it sews? So those are your bargaining chips.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:57 PM

It looks like a 99 -- but one that has been in water. How else would that case get into that condition? I wouldn't pay more than $20 even if it passed the tests. It looks rough to me. Check the wiring; damage done by water would be my biggest concern. Also, it needs a throat plate.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 11-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM

99 for sure, check the sound of the motor, if it sounds bad, you can convert to a hand crank and its awesome for that. Just make sure that you only spend $20 or so and that you can fix it yourself, otherwise it can be a money pit if you take it in to get fixed.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
It looks like a 99 -- but one that has been in water. How else would that case get into that condition? I wouldn't pay more than $20 even if it passed the tests. It looks rough to me. Check the wiring; damage done by water would be my biggest concern. Also, it needs a throat plate.
YOu are so right - how did EVERYBODY miss that water damage???
Old 11-02-2013, 07:46 AM

It's a 99 for sure.
Slide plates are cheap.
The machine is in good cosmetic condition, not the kind of shape you'd see with a rusted machine. You wanna see a rusted machine, I've got pics of one and that machine doesn't match.

The case bottom is easily repaired and recovered. So it's a mild problem as well.

This machine is not that bad off as they go. It would be a good machine for someone who wanted one, lots of room to negotiate the price if needed. But if all you're wanting is a machine to flip, skip it.

Joe
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 AM

In addition to the missing slide plate and the water damage to the base, the wiring to the foot pedal is missing most of its sheathing, so you would probably need to do some repair there. I'm guessing it doesn't come with any accessories, either.

I'm picky; I like useable machines. I assume from the striated face plate that it's new enough to have the numbered stitch length lever and can reverse, in which case I might offer $20 for it. If it has the older style screw stitch length adjustment, I think $10 would be generous. Other people would look at that the opposite way, though... it just depends what you're looking for.

If it's still available, it was posted October 10, so it can't hurt to make a low offer now; they might be willing to take it now that it's sat for a few weeks.