Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pott motor rewire.

Blog Entries

pott motor rewire.

I have a singer 15-91 sewing machine that I bought from a lady on this board. The bobbin winder had broken in shipping. I found a bobbin winder frame from an old 201-2 and they interchanged. It even came with a wirking motor. The lead wire that goes to the motor on the new frame is brittle. can you rewire these? Where can I get information on these.

PATTIESPEARL,

Here is a link to forum member Rayn or Rain ( can't remember which ) blog where he give very concise and detailed instructions on how to rewire motors, including the potted motors.
    { http://vssmb.blogspot.com/search/label/rewiring }

And then a thread I did not long ago with a few comments about rewiring them.
    { Comments on rewiring the 15-91 with a potted motor }

They might look complicated, but in reality they are very easy. Just follow the instructions in the blog.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PATTIESPEARL View Post
    I have a singer 15-91 sewing machine that I bought from a lady on this board. The bobbin winder had broken in shipping. I found a bobbin winder frame from an old 201-2 and they interchanged. It even came with a wirking motor. The lead wire that goes to the motor on the new frame is brittle. can you rewire these? Where can I get information on these.
    Motor wiring isn't bad but I'd be inclined to swap out BW parts or JB Weld before tinkering with motor. JB is good stuff and it won't even be noticed once it's touched up. Save and rewire the motor for another Singer project or spare.

Jon

PATTIESPEARL,

The potted motor from the 201-2 and the 15-91 are identical and interchangeable, but the bobbinwinder is not.
    The bobbinwinder parts are fairly easy to remove from the old broken 15-91 assembly and put on the 201-2's motor assembly. I have done this a fewl times.

Cathy

Cathy

"Most sewing machine problems are due to the carbon based unit in the chair in front of the machine"

Blog Entries
    I did take the frame that I bought that came from the 201-s and installed it onto the 15-91. The bobbin winder works great, am just concerned about the brittle wire ot the motor on that one. In my mind, I should be able to take the motor with the good wire and put it into the frame that I now have on the machine. I have already tried the jb weld twice on the old frame. it sits at such a funny angle that the winder would not work.

Blog Entries
    i have even thought about slipping a piece of heat shrink tubing over the top of the wire and leaving it like that. the motor works very well.

i have even thought about slipping a piece of heat shrink tubing over the top of the wire and leaving it like that. the motor works very well.
    Good chance the wires are also in bad shape inside the motor out of view. Best to have them replaced for safety.

Jon

I agree with Jon on this. When I did mine the two motor wires were devoid of insulation all the way up inside the motor. It was unsafe to even test run.

Joe

Blog Entries
    that is what i am afraid of. There should be a way to replace the wire going from the motor to the sewing machine

Without disassembling the motor there isn't. Did you read the blog I posted the link to above? It is very detailed, but not overly complicated to rewire these motors.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast