Rewire motor?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:55 PM

Default Rewire motor?

How do I know whether I can or can't rewire a motor? Here it is:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517646[/ATTACH]

There is quite a lot of sticky oily residue on the machine, so very likely some inside the motor as well. Can everything inside be replaced, or is there something I should look at inside to see if it is ruined?

The cord that goes to the inside of the machine looks ok - I think it's for the light:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517647[/ATTACH]

Also, how about the power block?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]517649[/ATTACH] The cords coming out look ok, but I don't know how to be sure.

I could buy a new motor and power block, of course, if that seems like what's best to do.

What do you all think about these items?

Margaret
Attached Thumbnails pink-machine-motor.jpg   pink-machine-inside-wire.jpg   pink-machine-power-block.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Banned

Option 1: (fearless person) GO FOR IT!!!!! What could happen........

Option 2: (sensible person) It can be done, it is about as difficult as building a model airplane. Be careful, take your time, research a bit first, take lots of pics, go slowly, we can help, you can do it!

Option3: (chicken) OH NO WAY! Buy a new set.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:36 PM

SteveH,

LOL, love those answers.

Margaret,

Yes, it can be rewired. About the only thing you might find to need replacing internally besides the cord is the brushes.
Some brushes can be had, but I don't have links for them to give you. Lost 'em in a puter crash.

If the cords are pliable, not petrified, sticky or gooey, no exposed wiring, they they'll be OK. If you see anything like I mentioned, replace them.
I've rewired cord blocks cos I can and I'm cheap. But I only do it on machines I keep. Those I've rehomed get new cord blocks if they need them.

That motor is an easy one. The question is not, can it be rewired. The question is, are you able to bring yourself to do it?
If you want to PM me for my email addy I'll help all I can. Pictures are easier on email than the forum.

To clean the old oil off the motor, just use some aerosol break cleaner, or better yet some aerosol electrical component cleaner. Hose it good letting the icky stuff run off and then rewire it.
Don't saturate the armature, the coating on the wire is lacquer and can be dissolved with some cleaners.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 04-21-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
...Don't saturate the armature, the coating on the wire is lacquer and can be dissolved with some cleaners. Joe
I did not know that! Cool! Ya CAN learn sometime new every day!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:48 PM

And Margaret do not be like me and look for brushes in the motor ...they don't look anything like BRUSHES!!!!!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:20 PM

I have started cleaning some motors just to learn how and I think I may be able to use them. I like the challenge and the help from all these guys.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM

Thank you all - I think I'll try it! Are there any capacitors inside that might give me a nasty shock? That's the main thing I'm worried about. I found Rain's tute on rewiring a potted motor, which is apparently the same as for an external motor. So with that and your help, it will be done!

Pretty sure we have some electrical component cleaner. Now, to Google "armature" and see what not to saturate!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:31 PM

Not much room for error or carelessness with electricity. Be safe if you tackle it.

Jon
Old 04-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Banned

Here's another tute that will be a big help. It's not about re wiring it's about cleaning an external motor. This and Rains tute should take you through the whole process nicely.
http://www.mckennalinn.com/cleaning-a-motor.html

Cari
Old 04-21-2015, 10:04 PM

In answer to your earlier question about capacitors, No there should not be any capacitors in a sewing machine motor, and if there were they should not be of the type or size to be any trouble. Just be sure it is unplugged and there should be no danger of electrical surprises.