Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem >

Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem

Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem

Old 08-18-2014, 12:35 PM

Default Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem

Hi everyone! I have been loving my new/old machine. I went to plug it in yesterday and it just took off without me even touching the pedal. Full speed. I guess this means the pedal is shot?

Any ideas where to get a new pedal? The electric cords are too short so something new would make it much easier to use. I think the pedal on it now was meant to be pushed with the knee, not on the feet. Also the light bulb has blown. It looks like an old transistor tube. Any idea where to get one?

Last question, promise. Should this machine fit into a 15 table? Thanks!
Old 08-18-2014, 01:17 PM

to test that you can sub any 2 wire pedal. did you just get this machine and was it working better and started doing this all of a sudden? may possibly be binding mechanism also. Remove the pedal from the cabinet mount and try it may help.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:26 PM

i believe the bulb is the bayonet style rather than screw in like a night light bulb. they are available fairly easily, grocery hdwe JoAnns sewing machine store etc. You can get a generic foot control from the thrift store prety cheap, taking the covers off to change ths wiring can sometimes be a lil bit challenging, perseverence pays

Last edited by oldsewnsew; 08-18-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:20 PM

Is it wired directly to the foot pedal or is there a 2 receptacle outlet in between? If you have the outlet, make sure the machine isn't plugged into the light plug instead of the machine plug The light plug is on all the time, the machine plug is controlled by the foot controller.
If it's wired directly, ignore my ramblings.
Rodney
Old 08-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Thanks! Checking now!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Betcha had the motor plugged into the light receptacle .....

Joe
Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM

what Joe said" ;-)
Old 08-19-2014, 12:19 PM

Default New controller/???

Sounds like Joe has you on the recovery trail I see so many members suffering with the old fashioned resistor type foot controls. Sew-Classic.com has the solid state electronic ones that are so much better. I have purchased one for my 301 and FW and It is the BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT Can't say enough good about them. No more hot foot. Better power on takeoff. My weak sister FW got more power with less effort. Wish I had done it years ago. Of course I saved the old one for the FW so it could be put original, if anyone was that foolish after using the new one. It gave the old girl new life. It cut the lugging weight of the FW also, not having that heavy thing weighing it down. I hove no other reason to recommend this except good results.

Last question, promise. Should this machine fit into a 15 table? Thanks![/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2014, 12:41 PM

FWIW, I was all agog about solid state controllers and was using them anywhere there was a trace of a problem. Granted mine were thrift store finds, albeit pristine appearing. First to fail was on my GFs old Bernina. It would latch into full on. Another did the same on a 15 clone. In a pinch I use one, Chinese cheap quality shows up on these also, and I've got some of the old resistance wire controllers that I'm content with at this time.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 AM

As for controllers:

>Resistance type: I've had exactly three complete unrepairable failures due to physical damage in nearly 100 machines. Several that were worn were repaired, one that had a broken shell and many broken carbon disks was repaired and now works properly. Some simply needed cleaning. They are pretty much bullet proof in design, but they do at times get warm. Especially when you sew slow.

>Electronic type: I've had good results with those in use. Includes a couple factory Singer units, a Bernina 930 unit and one from Sew-Classic. So far no failures. Keep 'em dry and don't bang them around and they should last.

Joe