Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem >

Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem

Precision 15 Clone with Electrical Problem

Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM

i find the ones with resistance wire rather than carbon discs to be more likely to endure abuse and/or neglect. Careful handling and bagging those carbon types is an excellent habit to get into...I forget and drop em occasionally, & need to store them in a dry location (not the garage)
Old 08-23-2014, 12:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
i find the ones with resistance wire rather than carbon discs to be more likely to endure abuse and/or neglect.
I've got a desk cabinet with one of these mounted as a knee controller. No new electronic controller can touch the control I have with this thing. I believe it's been there since 1958 when new so never been dropped or abused. With a touch of my knee whatever machine I've dropped in that cabinet will sew at a slugs pace of around 10-12 stitches per minute up to b***s-out screaming fast if I choose. I love it.

Cari
Old 08-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Patty55: Did you solve your problem?

Are the Singer carbon disc controllers the big black ones with the button switch? I have one of those on my 66 as a knee controller. I've never opened it up to see what's inside. Never had a reason to. I think my Touch & Sews use electronic ones and I like them too. In fact I seem to get along with most of the controllers we have here. I think the only controller I have that may need attention is the ceramic knee controller on my daughter's 101. I've been a little nervous about digging into it though. That machine only develops about 1/2 speed.
Rodney
Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM
Banned

Yes the button controllers are carbon disc. Lots of people don't like them but I do. If there's no broken discs in them and they're adjusted properly and you get them in a comfortable position they're great. I hate shoes so I'm always barefoot when I sew. I sit in an office chair with spider legs. I set my heel on a chair leg and position the controller to the front of my foot so I hit the button with the ball of my foot. The only thing I like better is a knee controller. I just finally got a Singer cabinet with one for my 201-2. The bonus is the cabinet has the front clips for inserting a 301 cradle in it. It's the little things that make me happy.

Cari
Old 08-27-2014, 11:05 AM

I prefer a knee controller too. I mounted the foot controller on my Rodney machine under the cabinet where I can use it as a knee control. It works pretty well even without the knee controller extension.
Rodney