Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Another Basement Find ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/another-basement-find-t208584.html)

patricej 12-16-2012 11:38 AM

Another Basement Find ...

7 Attachment(s)
According to the Singer site, the serial number indicates it was made in 1921.
I think this one was my grandmother's.
If so, it's also the one on which I learned to sew.
If not, it's very much like that one.

ahem! it was already very, very, very old by the time my mother started to teach me, thank you very much. LOL LOL LOL

it looks much better in the photos than it does in person.
I discovered by accident that the hazy stuff (varnish? shellac?) comes off.
the black paint underneath is in decent condition.
is there anything i can safely use to remove the rest of it without damaging the decals?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382558[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382559[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382561[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382562[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382563[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]382564[/ATTACH]

MimiBug123 12-16-2012 11:47 AM

Glenn had a tutorial on here just the other day on how to clean these up using denatured alcohol, linseed oil and shellac. Check in the tutes. Nice machine, btw. I love the red eyes!

patricej 12-16-2012 11:59 AM

Found it! Thanks for the pointer.

Stupid/lazy question ... linseed oil and denatured alcohol ... paint department?
I could pester somebody at Lowe's but you guys are "closer". LOL

makitmama 12-16-2012 12:01 PM

local hardware store, or big box in the paint section.

tenngal 12-16-2012 12:29 PM

Beautiful !

nygal 12-16-2012 12:51 PM

What a great "find". She's a beauty.

patricej 12-16-2012 01:07 PM

I will probably just shine it up the best i can, but not worry about getting it running.
I have a spot picked out to put it on display.
the case disintegrated, so i'll have to rig something to prop it up to sit straight.

we shall see what we shall see.
all the parts move except two.
i can't budge the plate that covers the bobbin case.
the lever that lifts the foot just "flops".
i couldn't figure out how to get it working, but i didn't explore too deeply into the innards.

J Miller 12-16-2012 02:00 PM

Patrice,

An electrified 66-1. I'll bet that old machine started out it's life in a treadle cabinet.

Copious amounts of Tri-Flow oil, used on everything that moves or should move will free it up. Just takes a while. Probably just gummed up with old oil.

You really should bring the old lady back to life. They do sew very nice. I should know, I have a bunch of 66s. Electric and treadles.

Joe

csharp 12-16-2012 03:41 PM

The plate that covers the bobbin case actually moves towards the needle if you want to get it "off" ...after oiling all over, push it towards the needle and Up...you can download a manual to explain this machine. I'm sure you could get it to work. Cotton balls and machine oil will save your decals ...these are beautiful machines. You may have to unscrew the plate under the needle and remove it to pop off the bobbin cover. You have to return it just opposite ....slides back in same way it gets out.

mighty 12-16-2012 05:44 PM

What a great find!!!!!