Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Directions for loading a White rotary bobbin (White Family Rotary, etc.) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/directions-loading-white-rotary-bobbin-white-family-rotary-etc-t172420.html)

Bennett 12-18-2011 08:46 AM

Directions for loading a White rotary bobbin (White Family Rotary, etc.)

2 Attachment(s)
Old style rotary bobbins are actually pretty easy to load, but I though someone might find this tutorial helpful.

1. The thread should be positioned so it is going over the top of the bobbin. The bobbin case should be positioned so that the small hook on the side of the bobbin case is facing you.
2. Slide the bobbin into the case, pulling the thread through the small hook on the side of the bobbin case.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296250[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296251[/ATTACH]

Bennett 12-18-2011 08:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
3. At this point, if you flip the case so that the tension spring faces down and the open part on the side of the bobbin case faces you, then the bobbin should be easier to keep in the case. Pull the thread toward your left, bringing it down through the slot in the bobbin case and behind the tension spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296252[/ATTACH]

Bennett 12-18-2011 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
4. Now it the trickiest part for me. The thread needs to go between the tension spring and the bobbin case, coming out of the top. It helps me to pull the thread all the way down, then slide it back up along the back of the tension spring so that it catches between the bobbin case and the tension spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296253[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296254[/ATTACH]

Bennett 12-18-2011 08:49 AM

2 Attachment(s)
5. Looking at the side view again, you can see the thread goes from the hook on the side of the bobbin case, then travels up into a small slot on the bobbin case and between the bobbin case and the tension spring.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296257[/ATTACH]

Candace 12-18-2011 09:13 AM

Thanks! My neighbor just gave me a White 77 rotary and the bobbin case looks just like this, I think.

miriam 12-19-2011 03:17 AM

I think your bobbin holder is like my Domestic 153 - maybe that is why it doesn't work right. Does your White take a special sized needle?

Bennett 12-19-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4793522)
I think your bobbin holder is like my Domestic 153 - maybe that is why it doesn't work right. Does your White take a special sized needle?

No special needle for mine, a regular 15x1 works in the Family Rotary.

Looking around on parts supply sites, it seems that this type of bobbin and case works in several different vintage machines, including White, Kenmore, Franklin, Domestic, and Viking. In the pictures, the case is original to my machine, but the bobbin is new from Sew Classic.

Scakes 12-20-2011 04:47 AM

Thank you. I just bought a machine with this same bobbin and it didn't come with a manual. I think I found one online but your pictures are so nice and clear. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Bennett 12-20-2011 10:19 AM

Thanks! The old manuals can be really helpful, but sometimes they lack a lot of in-depth pictures, and I tend to want more visual instructions.

SharynE 12-21-2011 06:30 AM

Sure hope this will help me also, I haven't seen my machine but will pick it up today. They sound to be a real "workhorse". Really excited to get it and hope it is in good shape, at least workable. My DDil,bought it last night at an auction. She is not at all into sewing or machines, but oh so thoughtful, a real gem. I did bookmark your thread, and will possibly be seeking some help along the way, every one have a Great day. Thanks again, SharynE