Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Directions for loading a White rotary bobbin (White Family Rotary, etc.)

Directions for loading a White rotary bobbin (White Family Rotary, etc.)

Old style rotary bobbins are actually pretty easy to load, but I though someone might find this tutorial helpful.

1. The thread should be positioned so it is going over the top of the bobbin. The bobbin case should be positioned so that the small hook on the side of the bobbin case is facing you.
    2. Slide the bobbin into the case, pulling the thread through the small hook on the side of the bobbin case.

Name:  IMG_1309.JPG
Views: 2443
Size:  89.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1310.JPG
Views: 2459
Size:  312.0 KB
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

3. At this point, if you flip the case so that the tension spring faces down and the open part on the side of the bobbin case faces you, then the bobbin should be easier to keep in the case. Pull the thread toward your left, bringing it down through the slot in the bobbin case and behind the tension spring.

Name:  IMG_1311.JPG
Views: 2501
Size:  205.0 KB

4. Now it the trickiest part for me. The thread needs to go between the tension spring and the bobbin case, coming out of the top. It helps me to pull the thread all the way down, then slide it back up along the back of the tension spring so that it catches between the bobbin case and the tension spring.

Name:  IMG_1313.JPG
Views: 2570
Size:  321.7 KB

Name:  IMG_1314.JPG
Views: 2331
Size:  346.7 KB

5. Looking at the side view again, you can see the thread goes from the hook on the side of the bobbin case, then travels up into a small slot on the bobbin case and between the bobbin case and the tension spring.

Name:  IMG_1315.JPG
Views: 2316
Size:  233.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1316.JPG
Views: 2425
Size:  290.1 KB

Thanks! My neighbor just gave me a White 77 rotary and the bobbin case looks just like this, I think.

Blog Entries
    I think your bobbin holder is like my Domestic 153 - maybe that is why it doesn't work right. Does your White take a special sized needle?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    I think your bobbin holder is like my Domestic 153 - maybe that is why it doesn't work right. Does your White take a special sized needle?
    No special needle for mine, a regular 15x1 works in the Family Rotary.

Looking around on parts supply sites, it seems that this type of bobbin and case works in several different vintage machines, including White, Kenmore, Franklin, Domestic, and Viking. In the pictures, the case is original to my machine, but the bobbin is new from Sew Classic.

Thank you. I just bought a machine with this same bobbin and it didn't come with a manual. I think I found one online but your pictures are so nice and clear. Thanks for taking the time to make this.

Thanks! The old manuals can be really helpful, but sometimes they lack a lot of in-depth pictures, and I tend to want more visual instructions.

Blog Entries
    Sure hope this will help me also, I haven't seen my machine but will pick it up today. They sound to be a real "workhorse". Really excited to get it and hope it is in good shape, at least workable. My DDil,bought it last night at an auction. She is not at all into sewing or machines, but oh so thoughtful, a real gem. I did bookmark your thread, and will possibly be seeking some help along the way, every one have a Great day. Thanks again, SharynE

threading a white rotary machine bobbin

your tutorial was so very helpful. I just had my old white oiled and serviced and would love to use it but the only thing it is missing are the bobbin and bobbin case. I have tried several websites without any luck. Does anybody know where I can get some of these are is there anyone willing to sell me one if they have an extra?

Quote Originally Posted by Heidibwilson View Post
    your tutorial was so very helpful. I just had my old white oiled and serviced and would love to use it but the only thing it is missing are the bobbin and bobbin case. I have tried several websites without any luck. Does anybody know where I can get some of these are is there anyone willing to sell me one if they have an extra?
    You can get them at several places if you google. For example, http://sewingmachineparts.net/bobbin_cases.html

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    This is very helpful for me also - I actually have a monster of a Kenmore that has bobbins like this.
    Valerie Smith - pumpkinpatchquilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

Bennet,
    Thank you so much for posting this series of photos, I've been threading my bobbin case wrong. I've only had the machine for 3 months and sewing with it a lot. The stitches are better now. I have a 1917 White Rotary treadle.
    Sharon

Blog Entries
    BUMP - good info!
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Thanks

Thank you I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to thread it!

Blog Entries
    I just discovered that the "new" bobbins I bought for my Franklin rotary do not have holes in them. You need to find a different way to anchor the thread to wind it. FYI bought them on E-Bay

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bennett, good tutorial. I have two White FR, a White and a Franklin and this has been a great help.
    Skip
    Glenn W. Cleveland

Quote Originally Posted by lolthom View Post
    I just discovered that the "new" bobbins I bought for my Franklin rotary do not have holes in them. You need to find a different way to anchor the thread to wind it. FYI bought them on E-Bay
    That's the way the new ones come. I took a 1/16" carbide drill bit and just drilled holes in the new ones I bought. Can't tell 'em from the originals after that.

Joe
    I love the old iron and wood machines. They're solid and reliable.
    Founder of IAAA - I Am An Anachronism .

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    That's the way the new ones come. I took a 1/16" carbide drill bit and just drilled holes in the new ones I bought. Can't tell 'em from the originals after that.

Joe
    Joe you are so handy, I could use you and your tools once in a while.
    I had to call my son to come help me figure out what i was doing wrong. I just couldn't get the bobbin case placed in my singer 404. I had photos and had cleaned the darn thing but it kept locking up on me. His fresh eyes got it put in in one second. Now on to the darn tension. I think the spring (thin one) is bent wrong.
    Helen Ann

This was useful last weekend! There was an embossed White Rotary near me and I was able to try it out. (Something underneath cut the needle thread every time. I did not need a new thread snipper and doubly not for $125. )

White Threadles

White manufactured the old Kenmores, Franklins, Domestics and one called a Minnesota (I think). Most of the parts are interchangeable. Thomas White was apparently a bit of a fanatic when it came to controlling the manufacturing and even supposedly grew and harvested the wood used in the cabinets. He made the other machines but not the cabinets. They are really cool machines. I am looking for information on using some of the accessories if anyone has any leads. The manual is available from ISMAC.com as a free download.